Where is the Ballast Resistor?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Chris.N
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Where is the Ballast Resistor?

Postby Chris.N » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:36 am

So I have a 1978 Honda Gl1000 that starts up after holding the starter button for sometime but then idles for a split second then dies. The battery is running on a low charge so I have switched it out but I am still having the issue. I believe it is the ballast resistor but I cannot locate it for the life of me, where exactly is it located?

Thanks

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Where is the Ballast Resistor?

Postby Placerville » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Chris.N wrote:So I have a 1978 Honda Gl1000 that starts up after holding the starter button for sometime but then idles for a split second then dies. The battery is running on a low charge so I have switched it out but I am still having the issue. I believe it is the ballast resistor but I cannot locate it for the life of me, where exactly is it located?

Thanks

Chris,

From what you've described above, I wouldn't consider your ballast resistor as part of the issue at this time. That is, not until you've ruled out several other possibilities. Perhaps you have so, how have you come to the conclusion that you ballast resistor is faulty?

Reading your issue, you say that you have to hold your starter button in for (what you believe to be) and extended period of time before your bike fires. Am I correct so far? You're then saying that your bike idles for a second, then dies. OK, that's clear. You're then saying that your battery was 'running on a low charge'. I don't know what you mean by that but, I'll assume that your battery was not performing properly and that you've replaced it. And, once you did that, you were still having the same problem.

First, your battery isn't part of your 'slow to fire / no idle' condition so, take that off the table. Your 'slow to fire' issue could be caused my many different things e.g., restricted fuel flow, poor spark, bad choke adjustment etc. You need to sort these possibilities out first before jumping ahead to a part of your electrical system.

When you're start your bike, are you choking it? I know this seems like a very obvious question but, you need to give us some more information on how your starting it and what's happening when you do. We can then go from there with more questions and advice.

To answer your original question, your ballast resistor is located by your coils but, I'd advise you to leave it along until you've sorted out the more obvious possibilities such as fuel flow, carburetion and spark. Go here for a wiring diagram for your '78. The resistor is by the coils in the upper right corner.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Re: Where is the Ballast Resistor?

Postby aussiegold » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 am

Placerville is correct in everything he has said. the ballast resistor can cause those symptoms , but it is not common for them to fail. when the start button is pushed ( on US models ) the headlight circuit is bypassed along with the ballast. this ensures full current for the start system.
when the start button is released, the current is diverted back through the ballast resistor.
an easy way to eliminate the ballast as the culprit is to simply disconnect both wires and join them together. if it runs when you release the start button, you got it. if not ,you have eliminated one possibility. heres a pic showing the start system. good luck. M.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”