GL1000 caliper, rear, O ring seal

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ned
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1986 BMW K100RS
1998 BMW K1200RS

GL1000 caliper, rear, O ring seal

Postby ned » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 am

Hi all,

I like to rebuild the rear caliper on the 1976 GL, but to date, I haven't seen the little square section O ring included in any kits. ( see #13 in the parts list, part number: 43211-311-006 SEAL, JOINT NISSHIN

Anyone has a replacement, substitute or a source of these?
Attachments
Rear caliper seal ... #13 on the drawing
Rear caliper seal ... #13 on the drawing

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1000 caliper, rear, O ring seal

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:22 am

ned wrote:Hi all,

I like to rebuild the rear caliper on the 1976 GL, but to date, I haven't seen the little square section O ring included in any kits. ( see #13 in the parts list, part number: 43211-311-006 SEAL, JOINT NISSHIN

Anyone has a replacement, substitute or a source of these?

Have a look at http://www.partsnmore.com - they have aftermarket kits that I've used numerous times, and always included everything I needed.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:17 pm

That O ring is no longer available from Honda. You may have to find an aftermarket source. But, first, go here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36159&p=364578&hilit=rear+brake+rebuild+o+ring#p364578 and view the thread. You may want to PM 'rcmatt007' and see if he can tell you where/if it can be found. I also recall seeing another thread where this same O ring was discussed. A comment was that it's not included in the kit as it rarely needs to be replaced. Are you replacing yours because it's bad or, are you just in the mood to do a 100% R&R. It's possible that it's OK the way it is. I also seem to recall that this particular ring was not exposed to brake fluid and anything you could find at a hardware store that matched in size would work. I am not 100% on that last statement so, please, make sure that I'm correct before you act on it.

Note that I posted at the bottom of the above thread asking about your question. If I get any positive feedback and clarity, I'll post it here as well.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 pm

I was wrong in my recollection of that ring not being exposed to fluid. It is. I received a response from 'Robin' at the NGW which cleared things up. If you cannot find a correctly sized, good quality Viton replacement of that ring, here's an aftermarket offering from Randakk. Pricey but, it's available.

http://randakks.com/collections/suspension-components/products/gl1000-rear-caliper-halves-seal
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

ned
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1986 BMW K100RS
1998 BMW K1200RS

Postby ned » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Placerville wrote:I was wrong in my recollection of that ring not being exposed to fluid. It is. I received a response from 'Robin' at the NGW which cleared things up. If you cannot find a correctly sized, good quality Viton replacement of that ring, here's an aftermarket offering from Randakk. Pricey but, it's available.

http://randakks.com/collections/suspension-components/products/gl1000-rear-caliper-halves-seal

Thank you very much.

I tend to do a 100% R&R on my brakes whenever I do them. As I need to service the front calipers I thought to do the whole job and thus the question.

The square O ring is a bit of a problem as it seals the fluid passage between the two halves and if you split the caliper I think that the replacement part is essential. I suspect that people simply replace the piston seals and leave it at that. That is an option.

From memory, In the past the supply of USA parts were a bit of a problem for Australian customers as they used expensive courier based shipment. I will look again to see if they have changed things. I guess that I have all been spoiled by the seamless on-line flee-bay systems when purchasing from Asia and Europe.

Thank you very much on the response. I now have a few options to consider.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:03 am

ned wrote:
Placerville wrote:I was wrong in my recollection of that ring not being exposed to fluid. It is. I received a response from 'Robin' at the NGW which cleared things up. If you cannot find a correctly sized, good quality Viton replacement of that ring, here's an aftermarket offering from Randakk. Pricey but, it's available.

Thank you very much.

I tend to do a 100% R&R on my brakes whenever I do them. As I need to service the front calipers I thought to do the whole job and thus the question.

The square O ring is a bit of a problem as it seals the fluid passage between the two halves and if you split the caliper I think that the replacement part is essential. I suspect that people simply replace the piston seals and leave it at that. That is an option.

From memory, In the past the supply of USA parts were a bit of a problem for Australian customers as they used expensive courier based shipment. I will look again to see if they have changed things. I guess that I have all been spoiled by the seamless on-line flee-bay systems when purchasing from Asia and Europe.

I bought what I think were the last two of those O rings from David Silver Spares in the UK. I paid $1.50 each for them. To charge $16 for them now is a bit much. But when they have you by the ****, there isn't much else you can do other than pay up.

Randakk
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Postby Randakk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
ned wrote:

Thank you very much.

I bought what I think were the last two of those O rings from David Silver Spares in the UK. I paid $1.50 each for them. To charge $16 for them now is a bit much. But when they have you by the ****, there isn't much else you can do other than pay up.

Maybe, but I had to create my own special tooling and commit to an initial order for thousands of these seals to make them available. I use the services of a very experienced rubber engineer to insure that the best compatible material and highest quality component standards are maintained. And, my price includes Priority Mail Shipping for US customers. And they are on the shelf today ready to ship! :)

Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Pinehurst, NC USA
http://www.randakks.com/

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”