79 recurring carb PROBLEMS

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links

79 recurring carb PROBLEMS

Postby IVGOT2WINGS » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Hopeing someone can someone can give me some tips on best wayto clean the jets on my carbs, did it once but Pistop Pete says do it again did'nt get it right. So anyone who has a successful methond of getting this done please hit me back. I"M DIEING here bike went down in October last year cut the tip of my finger off in November so was not able to get to it till May and have had no positive results. If I was not still out on COMP I'd just send them South for rebuild but $$$$$ is so tight so I have to do it myself. And I am just a real novice so any of you more experienced guys got tips to get me in the wind PLEASE send them on. Ride safe and give the wife her way if yoiu can!!!! THANKS....Tony Also have a second set that was suggested the floats be adjusted see the set for it but dont know how high or low it is to be set so there's that too.....

Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 79 recurring carb PROBLEMS

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:59 pm

If you can't spend the money for a Pistol Pete or Mike Nixon rebuild, I suggest you spend $40 and buy Randakks rebuild video. (I suspect that you have more going on with your carbs than just dirty jets.) If you don't want to do that, I suggest that you do a Google search on cleaning GL1000 carbs. There's a lot of free information out there, all you have to do is look for it. Here's one. There are many others out there.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: 79 recurring carb PROBLEMS

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 am

Things need to be very clean and the sliders mega smooth. Once you get them right then they stay right as long as you regularly ride or properly store them during ride breaks. Well worth the effort as these are great carbs for the GL1000.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”