79 GL1000 dropping cylinders...argh!!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Briankc43
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

79 GL1000 dropping cylinders...argh!!!

Postby Briankc43 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Good day to all!! I hope everyone is enjoying the ride during these warm days. I wish I was. I am having intermittent cylinder failures on my '79 GL1000. As in, I'm riding fine and then, all of a sudden, there is a loss of power, backfiring, the exhaust noise changes, I have to crank up to 2k rpms to leave a stop sign and a hellacious knock from the engine. I have done a lot of reading on the forums and came to the conclusion that it was an ignition problem. I proceed to pick up a set of used coils from eBay. Installation went okay, riding was okay for a bit. Fast forward a couple of days, starts happening again. Okay, let's get new points and condenser. Installed and gapped. Same thing again. Check the plug wires, boots and resistors. 1 and 2 plug wires look pretty bad and can't get a solid reading with the multimeter. I assume they are fried so I order the whole shebang from Dyna. Coils, wires, Dyna S ignition. Installed the coils and wires last night...sure enough, same thing today. Haven't put in the Dyna S yet but I somehow think its not going to clear this up. Fan this be caused by some carberation issue? Maybe the famed air cutoff valve? I'm at my wits end and my wife is sure tired of me throwing money at the seemingly wrong things.
There is also a high pitched whistling/ whining noise from the engine while it is putting around on 2 cylinders. Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

Brian Knight
Richmond VA

1979 GL1000
1984 Yamaha XV700 (RIP)

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: 79 GL1000 dropping cylinders...argh!!!

Postby bustedwing » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:04 am

The high pitch whistle has me thinking of a vacuum leak, but it would have to be something controlled by a valve of some sort. In other words, after the engine warms up some valves change and your leak could be from a hose that is very old, or a gasket that is going bad. One way to find out is to let the engine warm up and try to pinpoint the leak . Or using a squirt can of oil spray around gasket areas, if it is leaking you will hear a change in engine rpm. Of course you have to do this with the engine running. But check all the vacuum hoses first, a small leak can cause a big problem.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:40 pm

One (low cost) item to check is your spark plug caps. You said you checked your 'resistors'. And, by that, I'm assuming you mean your plug caps? If so, what are your ohms readings on each of your old caps? Could they be a problem? New resistor caps measure at 5 ohms. As the caps age, that number climbs and your spark diminishes. Swapping out to a complete Dyna system is a nice upgrade. I'm hoping that with the replacement of your ignition, coils and wires you've also replaced your caps.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Briankc43
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Postby Briankc43 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

I did check the resistance in the stock caps and they were in spec but now I've got the dyna wires with their boots. Should I be concerned about the resistance of the Dyna setup?
Brian Knight
Richmond VA

1979 GL1000
1984 Yamaha XV700 (RIP)

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Briankc43 wrote:I did check the resistance in the stock caps and they were in spec but now I've got the dyna wires with their boots. Should I be concerned about the resistance of the Dyna setup?

Honda says that a reading of 10 ohms on a cap is acceptable but, I disagree. I found a dramatic difference in overall performance (and especially starting) when I replaced my original (10 ohm) caps with new one's from Honda. (NGK's are just as good.) Your new Dyna wires are a nice replacement and should be part of a total ignition overhaul. Regarding your question of 'resistance' of the Dyna ignition and coils; just follow the installation instructions and you'll be fine. One comment: If you haven't yet installed your Dyna ignition and coils, I suggest you sort out your existing problem(s) first. When that's done, install your Dyna system. Although it's not critical, I only suggest this because you have an existing issues that have not yet been diagnosed and over-laying the Dyna system on to this, any problems with its installation will only confuse the issue.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Two areas I would check into if the wires don't prove to be the issue are the kill switch (and wires) as well as the ignition switch (internal contacts)... Both are rather easy to inspect and clean (good plastic safe electical cleaner)... Also I had an issue once where the previous owner had attched the spade terminal connector wrong... He had the plastic boot and just the side of the female connector touching... If I hit the brakes hard or went over a big bump, I'd get drop-outs and occassional stalling... Took me almost for ever to find that problem... :)

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 am

Are you going to keep running the Honda caps at the plugs? You do need the resistance in the caps, so if you replace the caps you have to figure out how to get the resistors back into the plug cap.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:40 am

Fred Camper wrote:Are you going to keep running the Honda caps at the plugs? You do need the resistance in the caps, so if you replace the caps you have to figure out how to get the resistors back into the plug cap.

If he replaces his existing caps with genuine Honda, they'll come with resistors built in. If he replaces his caps with NGK resistor caps, the same will also apply.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 pm

And me thinks Dyna plug caps may not have correct resistors.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Ah, yes. I was assuming he was going to use either OEM or NGK plug caps. I used this Dyna wire on mine but used new OEM for the plug caps and reused my original boots for the coil ends. Looking at the Dyna wires at the above link, it doesn't mention anything about the plug caps having resistors in them:

"Black 7mm Suppression core wires with plug caps, rubber boots and connectors Supplied as two wires with plug caps on either end. Cut the wires in half and trim to size required. Dynatek "Dyna" Wires are available with a solid copper core for use on older vehicles where electrical interference is not an issue. (For use on new vehicles with electronic advance ignitions or other sensitive electronic equipment use DYNA suppression wires with a high grade graphite core for best performance and electrical noise suppression.")

Does Dyna sell plug caps (like the NGK's) that have resistors built in?

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”