New handlebars

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Street Stalker
Motorcycle: '77 GL1000

New handlebars

Postby Street Stalker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Hello all I'm a new member. I just picked up my '77 Gl 1000 last week. With the use of the search bar here I have made a list of items I need to tackle to get it reliable for my daily use like timing belts, oil change, carb syncing, lighting system, and plugs. However, the first thing I want to change out are those factory handlebars. I like those cafe racer/ bobber style handlebars. What kind are right for the '77 and where do I find it? My gl1000 has no fairings.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: New handlebars

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:47 am

The 1977 hides the control wiring internal to the bar. If you like that you need to machine a slot in the center of your new bar then drill some holes in the end. It is not a bad job if you have access to tolls like a bench grinder.

I switched to Bike master euro bars that still have a 2 inch rise. Others go lower, but it depends on your height, desire for comfort and trip length.

I am about 6 foot and the Euro bar is fine around town and much better for me on the highway.

DesertVet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard

Postby DesertVet » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 am

I'm checking out new bars also, I also have a standard wing. The clubman can be mounted in the up or down position, not sure how it works on wings. I was also curious if anyone had changed bars to something specific that had some pics or info on how the ride is.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bikemaster-uni ... c14751u0j3
If it has two wheels and a motor...I probably want to ride it. Does that make me a bike sl*t?

DesertVet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard

Postby DesertVet » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 am

Fred Camper wrote:The 1977 hides the control wiring internal to the bar. If you like that you need to machine a slot in the center of your new bar then drill some holes in the end. It is not a bad job if you have access to tolls like a bench grinder.

I switched to Bike master euro bars that still have a 2 inch rise. Others go lower, but it depends on your height, desire for comfort and trip length.

I am about 6 foot and the Euro bar is fine around town and much better for me on the highway.

Fred, do you have pics of the bars? I went to your profile and didn't see any pics other than your avitar pic, I'm new...am I not looking in the right spot?
If it has two wheels and a motor...I probably want to ride it. Does that make me a bike sl*t?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Fred Camper wrote:The 1977 hides the control wiring internal to the bar. If you like that you need to machine a slot in the center of your new bar then drill some holes in the end. It is not a bad job if you have access to tolls like a bench grinder.

Don't you also need tiny holes for the tangs on both sides of the controls.

The tangs stop them from just spinning on the bar ends.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Keep in mind that when you change handlebars it will effect your clutch and throttle cables. If the new bars are higher, you'll need longer cables as your stock cables won't work. If the bars are lower, you're going to have extra cable to deal with and that can be a problem. Clutch and throttle cables prefer the shortest distance between A and B and they like straight lines. Putting too many bends in them will cause binding and poor performance.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”