Air Cleaner Install

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
chiltonj
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 A

Air Cleaner Install

Postby chiltonj » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Forgive me, new GL1000 owner here. I bought a 1978 recently and am doing some maintenance to the bike. The air cleaner was not installed when i bought it, but i got a new filter and was going to put the box in, but saw 2 hose ports coming off the box. I only saw one tube near where it should connect. Looks like it goes to the engine. I just want to make sure i am doing this right, as i have a few obstacles to overcome before she is regularly ridden. Could someone help with this?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Air Cleaner Install

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm

chiltonj wrote:Forgive me, new GL1000 owner here. I bought a 1978 recently and am doing some maintenance to the bike. The air cleaner was not installed when i bought it, but i got a new filter and was going to put the box in, but saw 2 hose ports coming off the box. I only saw one tube near where it should connect. Looks like it goes to the engine. I just want to make sure i am doing this right, as i have a few obstacles to overcome before she is regularly ridden. Could someone help with this?

Depends on when your's was made as to where the 2nd hose goes.

Some 78s have a canister on the left rear of the engine.

Mine does not as it is a early 78 edition. It just goes into the engine below and in front of the fuel petcock.

Think of it as a pcv valve on a car.

The other one I took off a long time ago.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:53 pm

An additional comment: You'll find it helpful to start looking at Honda parts fiche's. Go here to access the main page for your '78 and select 'Air cleaner and side cover'. Study that page a bit and you'll see where your hoses go. Get to know all of these pages. Also, do you have a shop manual? Originals can be found on eBay for around $45 if you're lucky. Buy one. If you can't do that now, a digital copy is available here for free.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

chiltonj
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 A

Postby chiltonj » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks Sno and Placerville! I did download a shop manual (getting to know her is going to be an adventure for sure!) and i think i will be posting quite a few topics on here if (when) i get in a jam. I appreciate the help!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”