Saying hello

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
my77gw
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000 Goldwing

Saying hello

Postby my77gw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 am

Purchased a 77 GL1000 last year and am very pleased with it. It has 74000 on it and is in pretty good condition. I did purchase the 7-volt regulator from Goldwing Docs and it works like a charm.
I do have a wobble in the front forks and have seen the brace offered for the 77GW. Id like to know how others who have 77 GWs who have used this product feel about it. In the attached picture of my GW there is a brace that came with the bike. Does the 77GW come with one as a stock item? Or could this be an after market brace that was put on before I purchased it? Just some questions I have. Looking to learn alot.
Attachments
Riding the Blueridge in Virginia is a ride I really enjoy
Riding the Blueridge in Virginia is a ride I really enjoy

Henry

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Saying hello

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am

I don't remember my 78 having it.It will help stabilize the front tho.
Wobble...search low speed wobble.Sometimes related to loose bearings in the steering head.
There's a way to test it.
Have you put on a new set of timing belts yet.?

my77gw
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000 Goldwing

Postby my77gw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 am

I have not replaced it. Don't know if it has been replaced but Perhaps it was. I had my 77 looked at including timing belt ,etc and was told it was fine at this time. Where can I go to look up how to test my steering as you mentioned?
thanks
Henry

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 am

In the search tab at the top...type in "how to check your steering bearings"
Or any other thing you want to search.
Timing belts look fine right up to the day they break.There are no tests for life span.
For the little cost,I never assume there good.
Generally I say that if you can't positively confirm that there less than 2 years old and under 30k miles...replace them.
I replace my timing belts every other rear wheel change.Same for the brake fluid,fork oil,gear oil and grease the driveshaft coupler.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:27 pm

When you describe your problem as a 'wobble', I would not attribute that to your front brace. Your front brace (which is aftermarket) was installed by the PO to give the (somewhat undersized) front end of your GL a little more stability when cornering. Some feel they need them, some don't. It's a personal choice. Because you have the extra weight of a fairing in the front, I would say, leave yours on, it's probably helping. Considering that the owner installed it, they may also have installed Progressive front fork springs as well. These give a little more support to that fairing and help to mitigate front end 'dive'. The first time you replace your front fork oil, pull out one of the springs. If it has an end that's wound much tighter (closer) than the other, that a Progressive spring.

To address your front wobble issue, you need to first check your steering head bearings. With the bike on the center stand and a jack under the front engine casing to lift the front wheel off the ground 1", do this: Sit on the ground, facing the bike, with your legs straddling the front wheel. Grasp the front of the wheel with both hands and pull/push back an forth. If you feel anything that seems loose in the head bearing area, you've got a problem to deal with. It may be as minor as tightening the head nut or as major as bad bearings which, will have to be replaced.

If you feel something 'loose', tighten the nut to specs. then repeat the test above. There should be no 'loose' feel or 'clunking' sound. Also, when you tilt (turn) the wheel from side to side, it should do so smoothly, without resistance (nut too tight) and no 'grinding' sound which could occur as a result of a worn head bearing. If you have to replace your head bearings, make sure you use the 'tapered' kind (that Honda recommends as a replacement) and not the original 'ball-bearing' style.

After you've assured yourself that the front head bearings are in good shape, take it for a ride. If you're still experiencing a 'wobble' you may need to look at other issues e.g., tire matching, tire pressure, load distribution, fairing issues etc. There's many issue that can cause 'wobble' in a motorcycle and they will have to be pursued individually to eliminate them. Address the head bearing first and test. If the wobble is still present, re-post.

Regarding your timing belts. Above, virgilmobile is giving you good advice to be weary of those belts. An 'inspection' of them means nothing. As he said, "Timing belts look fine right up to the day they break." I'd advise you to go here and read what a vintage GL expert has to say about their replacement. No matter what the PO told you (they always lie), in the absence of irrefutable documentation, replace them now.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Postby swr1977 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:33 am

my77gw wrote:I do have a wobble in the front forks and have seen the brace offered for the 77GW. Id like to know how others who have 77 GWs who have used this product feel about it. In the attached picture of my GW there is a brace that came with the bike. Does the 77GW come with one as a stock item? Or could this be an after market brace that was put on before I purchased it? Just some questions I have. Looking to learn alot.

My 78 has a similar brace. I don't know if it's original or aftermarket. see pics below
Attachments

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”