CARB PROBLEMS?79 Wing Maybe not

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
IVGOT2WINGS

CARB PROBLEMS?79 Wing Maybe not

Postby IVGOT2WINGS » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:00 pm

First off thanks to all the replies to my other posts.. went through all the cleaning and adjusting tips provided and more I came across here and there! Carbs are synced and adjusted and the bikie idles well for like 20 mins a half hour then goes dead. I ride and its like when we first met up to 60 in a flash.. no backfire no hesatation rides great on the Hway get off hit a red light and she dies. Coils are good timeing is on have a DYNA, battery is fairly new I'm just stuck for what to do next.. I've gotten suggestions from buddies the most popular is " Dump that OLD BITCH and get a Harley" I LOVE BUELAH but much like my exwife have come to not understand why she treats me this way,, unlike my exwife I refuse to get rid of her... So if any of you guys know where to send me next PLEASE ALL ARE WELCOME IN THE LIGHT!!

bigbugshurt
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 standard "patch" ;-)

Re: CARB PROBLEMS?79 Wing Maybe not

Postby bigbugshurt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 pm

How about a little more info? Does it start back up? after a little while?....next day....? Running temp? Just don't idle? Cuts off in relation to running "time", "speed", hitting the brakes........?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

bigbugshurt wrote:How about a little more info? Does it start back up? after a little while?....next day....? Running temp? Just don't idle? Cuts off in relation to running "time", "speed", hitting the brakes........?

Agree.

Also, I'd suggest this: Recreate the problem in your garage. When it dies, turn your petcock to OFF, then turn out each of your carb bowl screws and see what happens. If you don't get a good flow of fuel out of each bowl, you'll have an idea of where to look next. I don't think your problem is electrical, I think it's either fuel or air related i.e., too much or too little of either. From your description, I'm leaning towards fuel starvation. Do as I suggested above, then re-post with your results.

Depending on what you find, I'll suggest that you then confirm some basics e.g., is your fuel cap venting properly so that fuel can leave your tank? Is your petcock functioning properly and not disintegrating and restricted? Are your main (and reserve) tank lines, fuel lines and filter clean? After that, I'd suggest that you test the rate of fuel flow at your pump.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

bigbugshurt
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 standard "patch" ;-)

Postby bigbugshurt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Agree
Maybe for g p, if you have a couple spare spark plugs, during the event, pop the plug boots off, stick in the spare plugs, and with them resting on the engine, see if you still have fire. Fuel cap ventilation was my first thought though...

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”