1975 GL1000 not starting

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
kcgl1000
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Candy Blue

1975 GL1000 not starting

Postby kcgl1000 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Just purchased my '75 GL1000 a week ago and it only has 27,xxx miles. My problem started on Thursday when I was driving it back home after work. I passed the street I had to turn on so I went straight and decided to do a U-turn that's when I stalled the bike. I immediately clutched it in first gear and pressed the start button but the bike did not start. All it would do is make a cranking noise every time I tried to start it and each time it would make the clicking noise less and less until it would not even make it when I tried starting it. So after a few minutes of checking that the gas was on and I was in gear to try to start it I decided to push start. It started right up when I dropped the clutch and pressed the start button and I was able to make it home. I just parked it for the night and the next day I tried starting it but it would not even make the constant clicking noise, just the single click from the starter solenoid. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks so much.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1975 GL1000 not starting

Postby redial » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 pm

For a start that has been one lazy GW - nearly 40 years old, and less than 750 miles average per year! That is 65 miles per week, or less than 10 miles per day - sounds like a very close ice cream shop to me! You need to do a MAJOR service on it. Greasing everything that moves; replacing fluids - especially brake and clutch fluids; replace spark plugs; check tyres for age and wear - are the year of manufacture more than 5 years = replace; flush the oil in the engine; flush the fuel with Seafoam or your favourite; check brakes for wear; and make sure all of the controls work. Get a manual for the how to bits, and ask questions. Dont ride it until it is thoroughly serviced and checked out. When was the battery last changed? Dont know? Then that will be one of the problems that need immediate attention.

Good luck.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Check the voltage at the battery, if you have just over 12 volts it may be OK. If the battery is fully charged, turn the key on, nuetral, jump the two terminals on top of the solenoid with a beefy screwdriver. If your starter turns you may call that OK. Your solenoid was clicking so you may call that wiring and various switches OK. If all of this is OK then your solenoid is toast even if it clicks.

My second thought, because it stalled and didn't have enough power to click the solenoid is........dirty ignition switch (tarnished and carboned up inside where the contacts are made). Clean the switch anyways, nothing to lose. Have you had trouble with the key?

Bet you a pancake, Scott

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 am

Old motorcycles (and cars) need attention to all things electrical, if we expect them to run when we want. If you pull the battery leads off the battery, put the battery on a charger, and start to methodically remove all the grounds and electrical connections you can access, and clean the contacts (paying particular attention to grounds and large diameter wires that feed your start system for this problem), you will likely be rewarded with faster and better running overall.

There appears to be many (recent) posts regarding the failure of the main fuse on this message board, so I'd also recommend pulling fuses, and carefully inspecting condition of all fuses.

I'd also clean the starter wires, start solenoid wires, and after you get done, put your freshly charged battery back in the frame and give the starter a try.

I do not know if the 1000's experience the same starter problems as the 1200's, but taking the starter apart, cleaning the carbon dust out of the area around the brush holders is also something that helps to get better "restarts" on a warm engine. One other area to check out is the kill switch/start button within the housing on the throttle side of the bars. Years of dust, corrosion and wear (not so much wear on a bike with 27K on it) can cause trouble in reliable starting.

If the bike will push start, the coils/wires/plugs are probably not at fault. Patience is the order of the day when working through old bike issues. They're tough as a hammer, but can be finicky when they sit more than they run.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

kcgl1000

Postby kcgl1000 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Finally had time to work on the bike, I tested the battery and it checked out Ok, checked the post on the solenoid going to the battery and it checked out Ok. Light tested the post going from the solenoid to the starter as I tried turning on the bike and nothing. Did use the screwdriver on the two solenoid post and the starter did try to start the bike. So I went ahead and replaced the starter solenoid and viola the bike started right up.

The bike was maintained by the previous owner but it still needs a lot of maintenance to keep it running in great condition. Any suggestions on what I can do to it immediately to keep it running in good conditions? Any products and websites I can use to get quality parts and tools? Where can I get fluids and grease? Thanks.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't know much about the GL1000's specifically, but I've managed to find decent prices on oil and air filters for my 1200 on Ebay. Some folks seem to hate Ebay, but I've had enough positive experiences, that I almost always check there for items that I don't expect to find elsewhere.

My local NAPA store will order parts for my motorcycle(s), if they're available.

I buy NGK spark plugs, EMGO Air filters and Hiflo oil filters. I know they fit my bike. DELO 400 LE is the oil I've been using in the crankcase. I buy my hypoid gear oil at the auto parts store without much consideration to brand, as I change the final drive oil every time I change engine oil. For final drive splines, I use Honda Lube 60, which is what Honda recommends. It is getting harder to find, so I'm going to buy 10-12 tubes to keep on hand until I can find a replacement. I've used something called "MolyKote GN Paste" on the job for a number of years for different things. Like the Honda Lube 60, GN Paste has a lot of molybdenum disulfide in it. I don't know what the percentage is, but I suppose the MSDS probably states the amount... I'll check into it.

Most of the necessary maintenance is the small stuff. Once you get her running right, regular oil and filter changes along with monitoring and replacing the air filter when it is needed, will take you far. Keep an eye on the coolant level and quality, make sure the radiator is free of trashy buildup. Change the radiator cap every ten years or so... adjust valves, change timing belts, check the plugs once in a while to make sure the carbs are balanced and the plugs are performing well (they're like 2$ each, so generally I replace them when I pull them)... when I have the plugs out, I check the resistor screws inside the plug boots for looseness and tighten as needed.

You may want to research using a replacement coil out of a 4-cylinder car... and I think you've got points to keep an eye on in that year's model...

Tire pressure, wheel bearings (I keep a close watch on them... some replace them with a tire change). Periodic brake maintenance (when the wheels are pulled for tire replacement) grease the pins, drain all the fluid and replace fluid / bleed the brakes. Check the pistons for freedom of movement, and the oil return hole(s) in the master cylinder reservoir... Steering head bearing torque, fork oil replacement and overhaul if the seals show leakage...

I'm sure I've missed something. Mostly keep things clean, dry or oiled as required.

One last thing I have done lately is put a little 2-cycle oil in my gas. 2 ounces in five gallons seems to make my Old Goldwing run better. Your experience may vary.

Hawk
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 pm

While you are in shopping mode, get yourself some JIS screwdrivers. (JIS = Japanese Industrial Specifications). It just makes like so much easier.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:33 am

redial wrote:While you are in shopping mode, get yourself some JIS screwdrivers. (JIS = Japanese Industrial Specifications). It just makes like so much easier.

+1 on this! I don't know how I lived without my JIS drivers. See: Vessel JIS Motorcycle Repair Kit (Screwdrivers)

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:44 am

Wow......what a find!!!
There has been a lot of wisdom shared above, but I wanted to share some concerns if I may; seafoam-good stuff?...yeah....but, if your gas tank is dirty, and you use seafoam without a in-line fuel filter, that could be a disaster by sending all that trash to your carbs! That also goes for your crankcase....sure would be nice to be able somehow to take a visual inside of that bottom end...it's probley ok, but that bike was built back when the motor oil was non-detergent, and could have allowed Crud buildup in the engine, and a cleaner could cause oil contamination! That bike you have, patiently cared for, could be the last bike you ever need to buy!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 am

Me again...I just wanted to touch on oil filter function...all oil filtered systems have a by-pass valve ether in the oil filter cartridge it self, or as in the oil filter bolt in some goldwings. The purpose of that is for cold starting, as the oil is too thick to pass through the filtration fibers (that's why we warm up our engine before high rpm....).
When oil is heavily contaminated, it can almost instantly clog the oil filter, thereby allowing the by-pass valve to function (properly as it were), an send 100% contaminated-unfiltered oil directly to the bearings without any evidence of presure loss etc! Damage happens vary soon thereafter ...I learnt that the hard way....

kcgl1000

Postby kcgl1000 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks a lot everyone for their opinion. Where can I get replacement brake pads and rotors for the gl1000?

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:39 pm

I have found ebay to be a seemingly endless source for goldwing parts.

kcgl1000

Postby kcgl1000 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Wanted to know what and where I should grease with the moly multipurpose grease, specifically the steering ball joints and the final drive gear. Also had a question about my neutral light. What does it mean if it stays on while driving?

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”