need help with my '78 gl1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
rockybarrierjr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing

need help with my '78 gl1000

Postby rockybarrierjr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:09 am

new to the motorcycle world and got a good deal on my bike. got it as is and have been working on it off and on when time permits but have hit a brick wall on this;i cant get fire to the #3 and #4 plug wires. can anyone tell me how to fix this???? HELP??????

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: need help with my '78 gl1000

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 pm

rockybarrierjr wrote:new to the motorcycle world and got a good deal on my bike. got it as is and have been working on it off and on when time permits but have hit a brick wall on this;i cant get fire to the #3 and #4 plug wires. can anyone tell me how to fix this???? HELP??????

First, you need to help yourself. Do you have a Honda '75-'79 shop manual? If you don't, get one. You can find a used one on eBay for around $45. If you can't spend that, you can download a free one here. I also suggest that you pick up a (used) Haynes and Clymer manual on eBay as each manual gives you a little something extra.

Regarding your problem, the diagram below (from the Honda shop manual) depicts your coils. Looking at them tells you that your left coil (which feeds #3 and #4 cylinders) may have a problem. The issue could be the power source to the coil, the coil itself or the plug wires leaving the coil. So, you first need to determine if your left coil is receiving power.

Use an Ohm meter across the Blue and Black/White wires. With your kill switch set to 'RUN', hit the starter. You should see 12 volts. If you have 12 volts going into your coil but, your coil isn't sending spark to your wires, your coil is bad. (The probability of both plug wires being bad are slim.) If this is the case, you should replace both of your coils. You can go cheap and just buy a used OEM coil and wire set off eBay or you can do it up right and replace them with a set of Dyna's. If you do the latter, you'll need to buy new plug wires and you should also replace your old plug caps as well. (Note that the OEM coils and wires are a single unit and the plug wires do not detach.) However, if you don't have 12 volts into those coils, you have other problems.

Perform the above test and re-post with your results.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”