White Smoke out the Right Exhaust GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
TheRobbie1950
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

White Smoke out the Right Exhaust GL1000

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 am

Learned something new. Last year I did not get to ride the bike because it ran poorly and had white smoke coming out the right exhaust. I did not research it at that time and just decided to do a bunch of other stuff like carbs, belts, water pump, etc, this year. Hence my previous post re jet sizes.
Anyway I got it all done and the motor fired up right away but guess what.white smoke out the right side exhaust.
I did a compression test and all cylinders are reading 145-150psi, and I see the book says 171psi, but I also read here that my readings should be fine.
My question is.......... will I get decent compression readings if a head gasket is gone? And , do you think the right head gasket is my problem with the white smoke, or could there be a different problem that I do not know about?
Oh by the way my bike is a 78 gl1000.

Thanks in advance for any help given

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: White Smoke out the Right Exhaust GL1000

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Does the smoke have a sweet smell? Are you sure it's water in the exhaust? If it is water, you should be able to tell by looking at the plugs. They'll look like they were pressure washed or steam cleaned. Is there a "lot" of smoke?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:30 pm

White smoke = bad head gasket. Does it do it just on startup or does it do it all the time?

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 pm

It did not stop smoking, but I shut it down so I did not screw it up anymore than it was.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Yes lots of white smoke. My nose doesn't work well.
My plugs are new so look the same as new.
I have a new head gasket coming maybe Tuesday, so gonna see if I can get that working.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:42 pm

FYI, I did the head gasket job,and previously everything else like carbs,belts,adjust valves, water pump, and if you recall I put #38 slow fuel jets in the carbs instead of the spec #35 jets.
The bike actually runs pretty darn good except if I idle for an extended period of time like trying to sync carbs it actually boiled over. I wonder if I might have gotten a wrong thermostat although the bike stays within the limits on the higher end of the ok range of the gauge while moving forward on a street or hiway.
I did not see the fan activate although I know it is good because I put 12 volts on it and it was good.
I am wondering what is the sequence that actually makes the fan run?? Maybe the fan switch is screwed?
And does anyone know where I can get one of those combination wrench/screw driver tools for synching the carbs?

Thanks again in advance for any help you provide.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 pm

TheRobbie1950 wrote:SNIP..."I wonder if I might have gotten a wrong thermostat"
Did you order your thermostat from Honda? If you did, it would be correct. If you didn't, any of these are acceptable after-market alternatives: NAPA #101 - Stant #13868 - Murray #3868. If you didn't install one of these, you have the wrong one.

SNIP..."I did not see the fan activate although I know it is good because I put 12 volts on it and it was good."
If you didn't see (or hear) the fan come on prior to the boil-over, then why would you assume it's working?

SNIP..."I am wondering what is the sequence that actually makes the fan run?? Maybe the fan switch is screwed?"
The fan switch normally activates at about the time that the temp. gauge reaches (approximately) half-way into the solid white bar. If your fan doesn't come on after the needle has passed the half-way mark, do this: Turn you kill switch OFF but leave your ignition switch ON. Then, pull the leads to your fan switch and short them together. If the fan comes on, your fan switch is broken. But, if your fan doesn't come on, you have a problem with the wiring to the fan or the fan itself.

SNIP..."And does anyone know where I can get one of those combination wrench/screw driver tools for synching the carbs? http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product33.html
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Your fan is fine. It's the thermoswitch that's shot.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 pm

I actually bought some of my parts about 2 plus years ago and I just never got around to installing them until now. Then I went whole hog and did everything at once, and then realized I had the head gasket to do because of the white smoke.
Anyway when I got the thermostat it was a Napa # 33488, which as I do more research find that it should be the equivalent of the stant # 13868 that you recommended Placerville.
Does that seem right to you?
I guess the old napa 33488 is no longer a valid #. I was having a real fun time trying to cross match numbers, BUT in MHO I think the thermostat I put in meaning the 33488 napa should be ok?????
And i will be checking the electric fan connections because my temp gauge is running about 3/4 up in the white area.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

TheRobbie1950 wrote:I actually bought some of my parts about 2 plus years ago and I just never got around to installing them until now. Then I went whole hog and did everything at once, and then realized I had the head gasket to do because of the white smoke.
Anyway when I got the thermostat it was a Napa # 33488, which as I do more research find that it should be the equivalent of the stant # 13868 that you recommended Placerville.
Does that seem right to you?
I guess the old napa 33488 is no longer a valid #. I was having a real fun time trying to cross match numbers, BUT in MHO I think the thermostat I put in meaning the 33488 napa should be ok?????
And i will be checking the electric fan connections because my temp gauge is running about 3/4 up in the white area.

I'd advise you to focus on the fan switch at this time. If it's found to be bad, replace it. Then, run the bike and see if you think it's operating at the proper temp. If you you feel it's running cool enough, your thermostat is probably OK. I can't tell you if the one you bought is correct. Buying aftermarket parts is always a risk. That's why I always stick with OEM so I don't have to deal with this type of problem.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”