Help me locate whining noise...

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Fetacheese
Motorcycle: 75 GL- 1000

Help me locate whining noise...

Postby Fetacheese » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am

I have this whining noise coming from somewhere up front of the motor, or at least that's where I think it's coming from. The Bike is a 75 GL1000.
The noise appears only when the motor comes up to temperature , never when cold.
I and couple of friends where so positive that it was the timing belt tensioners that where making the noise but we were wrong. I spent the entire day yesterday replacing the tensioners with new ones using one of the methods from this link and from this site. http://www.sdb-e.com/TENSIONER/TENSIONE ... LD-JCS.pdf
Needless to say just about now I am at my wits end.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Help me locate whining noise...

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 am

Did you do the belts at the same time? How old are the belts?

Fetacheese wrote:I have this whining noise coming from somewhere up front of the motor, or at least that's where I think it's coming from. The Bike is a 75 GL1000.
The noise appears only when the motor comes up to temperature , never when cold.
I and couple of friends where so positive that it was the timing belt tensioners that where making the noise but we were wrong. I spent the entire day yesterday replacing the tensioners with new ones using one of the methods from this link and from this site. http://www.sdb-e.com/TENSIONER/TENSIONE ... LD-JCS.pdf
Needless to say just about now I am at my wits end.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am

No, the belts where replaced about 12000 miles a go.

Thanks.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 pm

You need to supply more details so we can help you. Is the noise present when the bike is stationary or only when it's going down the road? Is the noise present when you are on the road but, with the clutch pulled in? Does the noise change in pitch with RPM's?

I also suggest that you try to zero in on the source of the noise. The fact that it presents itself only when the motor comes to temp is one clue but, you need a location. When the noise starts, use a large screwdriver (18") or metal rod to assist you. Place one end (carefully) against your ear and the other end on suspected areas. The closer you get to the sound, the more it will transmit through the rod to your ear. If you can't identify the 'exact' area, at least you can locate the 'loudest' area and go from there.

BTW, the link you posted for the tensioners is not working. Can you re-post it? I'd like to see it.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Placerville wrote:You need to supply more details so we can help you. Is the noise present when the bike is stationary or only when it's going down the road? Is the noise present when you are on the road but, with the clutch pulled in? Does the noise change in pitch with RPM's?

I also suggest that you try to zero in on the source of the noise. The fact that it presents itself only when the motor comes to temp is one clue but, you need a location. When the noise starts, use a large screwdriver (18") or metal rod to assist you. Place one end (carefully) against your ear and the other end on suspected areas. The closer you get to the sound, the more it will transmit through the rod to your ear. If you can't identify the 'exact' area, at least you can locate the 'loudest' area and go from there.

BTW, the link you posted for the tensioners is not working. Can you re-post it? I'd like to see it.

Hi Guy,Greg Here. AKA as Fetacheese :>)
My friend I 've done all the things you suggested. Yes the noise changes with the engines RPM . By that I mean , The sound is consistent with the engine's RPM's similar in sound to a bearing that is a bout to go out, except this noise has been with me for almost two years. . The noise is present when the bike is stationery and in neutral, and while stationery in gear with clutch disengaged (drawn ) But when I disengage the clutch the noise disappears for a split second and appears again. By that I mean the noise disappears the moment I draw in the clutch lever, and appears again a split second later.
It's very hard to know exactly where the noise is located and went as far as using a stethoscope on suspected areas with no success .

The link I posted is from NGW Shop Talk. on tensioner rebuild. I'm sure you've seen it many times before. I've used the same proses ,same tensioners used on Kia Cars,T42015? That part went very smoothly ,I'm okay with that. Just very disappointed that it did not solve my noise problem.
Greg.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Well, at least you have new tensioners. ;) Have you disconnected the Tach cable from the fuel pump housing to eliminate a noisy cable?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Placerville wrote:Well, at least you have new tensioners. ;) Have you disconnected the Tach cable from the fuel pump housing to eliminate a noisy cable?

Nope, But I will:>)
Thanks.

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 am

Little break in the clouds. I did first thing this morning what Placerville suggested and removed the Tech cable from it's housing .No apparent change . Poking around with a long screwdriver to my ear I think I might have detected where the noise is coming from. What I suspect the noise maker to be is the Tech Drive coming off the end of the Cam. Next step is to look in the manual and see what the make up is of the Tech Drive and if there are bearing involved . I'll let you all know what else I find. Meanwhile any additional suggestion will be much appreciated as always.

Feta.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 am

A cam lobe inside the head moves the pump lever in the fuel pump. The process also turns the Tach. gear #3.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 am

Placerville wrote:A cam lobe inside the head moves the pump lever in the fuel pump. The process also turns the Tach. gear #3.

It doesn't appear to be any roller bearings in the Tachometer drive assembly . If the whining sound is coming from where I think it is then it must be the # 3 gear drive that is worn? Opinion?
Thanks.
Feta.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Having never had a tach drive gear out of a GL1100, I don't have the slightest clue as to whether what I'm going to write will even make any sense... but how bad is the noise and does it effect the operation of the tach? If I took that little gear out, and couldn't see any sign of wear, I'd dope it good with some grease and put it back in and go for a ride... I don't even look at my tach most days... and I'd far rather be riding than pulling stuff off the engine...

Now, if it matters... that little gear, then I expect someone will tell me it does, and you probably should replace it before you ride anywhere :-)

It is beautiful out, and I'm getting ready to play a little "early out" so I can take the long way to the house...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Fetacheese wrote:
Placerville wrote:A cam lobe inside the head moves the pump lever in the fuel pump. The process also turns the Tach. gear #3.

It doesn't appear to be any roller bearings in the Tachometer drive assembly . If the whining sound is coming from where I think it is then it must be the # 3 gear drive that is worn? Opinion?
Thanks.
Feta.

One way to find out is to remove it. Remove your tach cable, pull the seal out with a pick and remove #29 and #4. The gear drive lifts out. When replacing it, you must put in a new seal from Honda or it will leak oil.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:19 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:Having never had a tach drive gear out of a GL1100, I don't have the slightest clue as to whether what I'm going to write will even make any sense... but how bad is the noise and does it effect the operation of the tach? If I took that little gear out, and couldn't see any sign of wear, I'd dope it good with some grease and put it back in and go for a ride... I don't even look at my tach most days... and I'd far rather be riding than pulling stuff off the engine...

Now, if it matters... that little gear, then I expect someone will tell me it does, and you probably should replace it before you ride anywhere :-)

It is beautiful out, and I'm getting ready to play a little "early out" so I can take the long way to the house...

You are probably right since the tachometer works perfectly . My buddy been hearing me complaining about the whining noise for some time now and pretty much said what you did ,just ride it.

Problem is ,it's too distracting to me to a point where I don't enjoy the ride unless I muffle the sound with ear plugs.

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Placerville wrote:
Fetacheese wrote:

Thanks.
Feta.

One way to find out is to remove it. Remove your tach cable, pull the seal out with a pick and remove #29 and #4. The gear drive lifts out. When replacing it, you must put in a new seal from Honda or it will leak oil.

Sounds easy enough . So you think the gear drive is the culprit?
Thanks.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Fetacheese wrote:You are probably right since the tachometer works perfectly . My buddy been hearing me complaining about the whining noise for some time now and pretty much said what you did ,just ride it.

Problem is ,it's too distracting to me to a point where I don't enjoy the ride unless I muffle the sound with ear plugs.

There isn't any "tongue in cheek" smilie face I could use. I was getting ready to leave work before I posted that, and I probably should have kept my yap shut since I didn't have anything constructive to add to your thread.

Sorry.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Sounds easy enough . So you think the gear drive is the culprit?

I don't know. I'm only going on what you've said about the area from which the noise is emitting. That's a moving part that's easy to get to. It's worth a try.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Placerville wrote:Sounds easy enough . So you think the gear drive is the culprit?

I don't know. I'm only going on what you've said about the area from which the noise is emitting. That's a moving part that's easy to get to. It's worth a try.

Just finished replacing the Tech drive assembly with a spare used one I had laying a round that checked out good and tight same as the one on the bike. . Sorry to say it didn't change anything .The positive for my troubles :>) is I know first hand another area of the GL's workings. All is good.

Another friend tells me the whining noise I'm hearing is characteristic to those year GL's, not having any experience with GL's other than my 75 it is impossible for me to make a comparison to other Gl's of that era. Another friend tells me the whining nose might be a bearing in the clutch system, if that's the case I'll get to it when my clutch goes bad cause I'm not pulling the motor.:>)
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Feta.

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:20 pm

If it goes away when it warms up I wouldn't worry about it. I probably wouldn't worry about it anyway. Mine makes all kinds of noises and has since it was new. I remember taking it back to the dealer before it went out of warranty 37 years ago and they said it sounded good and I was hearing all kinds of noises myself. If it is a bad noise, it will probably get worse and be easier to identify.

Fetacheese

Postby Fetacheese » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:54 pm

sfruechte wrote:If it goes away when it warms up I wouldn't worry about it. I probably wouldn't worry about it anyway. Mine makes all kinds of noises and has since it was new. I remember taking it back to the dealer before it went out of warranty 37 years ago and they said it sounded good and I was hearing all kinds of noises myself. If it is a bad noise, it will probably get worse and be easier to identify.

Ha! Just when I was beginning to forget a bout it I get a reply. Thanks a lot. Lol.
Actually the noise only comes on a after a good warm up. No whining sound when she's cold yet... I'm not totally convinced that the whining noise is characteristic to early GL'S, although I been told that. Two other areas I will be checking in the near future. The water pump for worn bearing and what ever bearing makes up the clutch system. Maybe this winter after I finish the bagger I'm working on.
Thanks sfruechte.

drfrank01
Motorcycle: 78 + 79 Honda GL1000
84 BMW R100 RT SOLD
2007 BMW R1200 GSA
2006 K1200R SOLD

Postby drfrank01 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Ok I had to do this....

I have had about 2 dozen different motorcycles and in my experience when I perceived a distinct whining noise it always has been coming from the seat behind me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”