no clutch

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ajratt01
Motorcycle: 1976 gl 1000

no clutch

Postby ajratt01 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 am

hi i'm sort of putting the cart in front of the horse here but oh well. recently my wife and i were on a ride and when i pulled into our driveway and pulled in the clutch there was a snap and then no clutch action. i thought at first the cable had just broken because it is a 76 wing and due to age and such. after looking into it further it seems the cable is intact into the housing however i cannot pull the cable out of the tube going into the housing on the trans. i'm an auto tech by trade but am a little nervous working on my bike. so my question is, are there any normal breaks in this area i can look for and more importantly is this something a normal wing guy can look into? i'm a good mechanic but this is out of my experience level and there are always tricks that you have to learn. i love the old girl and have alot of other work to do to it and want to do it all myself. any help or advice would deff help out.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: no clutch

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 am

I do not have a service manual for a GL1000. I found this online http://www.gl1000.info/Documents/Honda_ ... Manual.pdf

It looks like you have to remove the "Lifter Cover" from the rear of the engine to access the clutch cable. I've never changed the cable on a GL1000... sorry... but if you need a manual, that link above looks like it is a decent one from what I see.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:13 pm

The last clutch cable I had trouble with on my GL1000 did not break but rather started to stick and caused the clutch to slip. It sounds like yours might be really stuck? There's not much under that little clutch cable cover so don't be afraid to take it off. You might just need a new cable. There is also a clutch plate adjustment accessible under that cover and it is good to go through those motions periodically. I think the book says 6000 miles but after 222,000 miles on my bike, it doesn't change much after even 20,000 miles.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:48 pm

You need a new clutch cable. Replacing a clutch cable isn't difficult, finding the correct length is and it's critical that you do. You haven't said, so I'll assume you have a '76 with the low bars and not the LTD with the higher bars. You need a cable for a '75 or '76 (low bar, non LTD). Honda doesn't sell these cables anymore so, you'll have to find a correct length NOS cable on eBay (if you're lucky) or, you can buy a used cable off eBay for a '75 or '76 (low bar, non LTD. A used, low mileage cable would be acceptable due to the fact that you'll know that it will be of the correct length. Do not buy an new, aftermarket cable that states it will fit a '75 through '79. The 'one size fits all' cables are too long. Here's a new aftermarket cable on eBay for a '75 and '76. This is the type you want to look for. Here's one with the correct part number for your '76.

First, find the correct cable and order it. While it's in route, remove your bikes top shelter. This is not as complicated as it sounds and it will make installing your new cable a breeze. When installing new clutch and throttle cables, it's imperative that they are routed correctly. Miss-routing a clutch cable will result in a 'hard pull' and poor operation of your clutch. Whatever you do, DO NOT disconnect your current cable and remove it from your bike. You must use it as a 'guide' to install your new one.

To remove your top shelter, do this:
- Open your side shelters, pull the pins and remove the covers.
- Remove the four bolts that hold the top shelter to the frame.
- Remove your air box.
- Disconnect your fuel gauge connector from the harness.
- On the left side, unplug each of the electrical components.
- Lift off the shelter.

You now have complete access to the routing of the clutch cable. Install your new cable using the exact same path as the old cable. When installing the cable, follow the instructions in the shop manual. You have to start with the internal adjustment behind the small clutch cover. Do that with all the slack you can get in the cable. Then, begin at the bottom cable adjustment. Start with about half the threads showing. Then, adjust at the lever. You want a little bit of slack at the lever before it actually starts to pull on the cable.

A tip: While you have the top shelter off, you'll find you now have amazing access to many areas you've never touched. Spend some time looking around, cleaning and doing some preventative maintenance.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:15 pm

I bought my last clutch cable from Service Honda and it was genuine OEM Honda.
I see Western Honda also has them listed for $26.57.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:01 pm

sfruechte wrote:I bought my last clutch cable from Service Honda and it was genuine OEM Honda.
I see Western Honda also has them listed for $26.57.

You're correct. You have a '77 with the higher bars and those cables are still available. Lucky you. However, the shorter '75-'76 cables that ajratt01 needs, are not.
Last edited by Placerville on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

ajratt01

Postby ajratt01 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:40 pm

placerville all your info got me thinking and i checked my handle bar height. it is a 1976 but it looks like somebody has added risers in the past. my bars are 3" from the bottom of the bar to the triple tree. the spacers are just a touch over 1 1/2 tall. how much will this screw up cable length?

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Let me pose your question to someone who'd know if it's possible to put a set of rises on a low-bar without replacing the stock length clutch and throttle cables. I'll get back to you shortly. In the meantime, take a picture of your risers and post it. I want to see what they look like and how your current clutch and throttle cables are routed at your gauges. Also, I'd like a photo of your front brake line as it comes out of the gauge cluster and attaches to the M/C. These will give me some information as to whether a PO had to replace the clutch cable and brake line do to the handlebar rise.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I have an answer back from my contact regarding your bars. But, that answer depends on the photos I ask you to post. So, I'm waiting on you.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

ajratt01

Postby ajratt01 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 am

sorry placerville. we've had some family issues come up so i havn't had a chance to get the photos taken yet. its on my to-do list. thanks again for your help.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”