Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
jhbates2000
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 am
Location: terre haute,indiana
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby jhbates2000 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:10 am



Ok I have just bought a 1979 gl1000 for a song. I currently ride a 1983 gl1100a. I also have an "83" gl1100 donor bike I bought about a year ago. I am curious to know if any of the parts on the 1100 are compatible with the 1000. I know it needs some work and some TLC. Just curious



SnoBrdr
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 am

Some are most are not.

User avatar
buddyjaet
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Motorcycle: 75-1000, 78-1100 being rebuilt.

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby buddyjaet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

jhbates2000 wrote:Ok I have just bought a 1979 gl1000 for a song. I currently ride a 1983 gl1100a. I also have an "83" gl1100 donor bike I bought about a year ago. I am curious to know if any of the parts on the 1100 are compatible with the 1000. I know it needs some work and some TLC. Just curious


I would visit http://www.zedder.com/ purchase the list for Honda, it will tell you what will and will not fit and I have yet to find an error.
You will be surprised at how much will cross over, and depressed at how often Honda used a part on a few model years then never again.
$24.95 well spent IMHO.

Good Luck!

SnoBrdr
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm

buddyjaet wrote:
jhbates2000 wrote:Ok I have just bought a 1979 gl1000 for a song. I currently ride a 1983 gl1100a. I also have an "83" gl1100 donor bike I bought about a year ago. I am curious to know if any of the parts on the 1100 are compatible with the 1000. I know it needs some work and some TLC. Just curious


I would visit http://www.zedder.com/ purchase the list for Honda, it will tell you what will and will not fit and I have yet to find an error.
You will be surprised at how much will cross over, and depressed at how often Honda used a part on a few model years then never again.
$24.95 well spent IMHO.

Good Luck!


Save your $25, the amount of parts on a 83 and a 79 that are interchangeable is so small it isn't worth it.

I am talking direct bolt on/off, with enough time and money you can make anything work.

Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
buddyjaet wrote:
jhbates2000 wrote:Ok I have just bought a 1979 gl1000 for a song. I currently ride a 1983 gl1100a. I also have an "83" gl1100 donor bike I bought about a year ago. I am curious to know if any of the parts on the 1100 are compatible with the 1000. I know it needs some work and some TLC. Just curious


I would visit http://www.zedder.com/ purchase the list for Honda, it will tell you what will and will not fit and I have yet to find an error.
You will be surprised at how much will cross over, and depressed at how often Honda used a part on a few model years then never again.
$24.95 well spent IMHO.

Good Luck!


Save your $25, the amount of parts on a 83 and a 79 that are interchangeable is so small it isn't worth it.

I am talking direct bolt on/off, with enough time and money you can make anything work.


I would agree with that. There's a lot of engine parts that interchange but other than that, next to nothing from an 83; slightly more from an 80-82.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:24 am

starter, handlebars, carbs work, intakes, headers(have to cut off mufflers or make different hangers, shifter lever, ears, headlight, turn signals, radiator??, wings, fuel and water pumps, clutch??, cables; tach, speedo, throttle, rear pegs,
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

SnoBrdr
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:19 am

RBGERSON wrote:starter, handlebars, carbs work, intakes, headers(have to cut off mufflers or make different hangers, shifter lever, ears, headlight, turn signals, radiator??, wings, fuel and water pumps, clutch??, cables; tach, speedo, throttle, rear pegs,


Are you asking or telling ?

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Bought a 1979 gl1000 and CURIOUS

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Telling....................................


HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB


Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest