This is why we do MAINTENANCE!!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I
plus a couple others...

This is why we do MAINTENANCE!!!

Postby centurion » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Oh, here we go again! I once had a red 1976 GL1000. I used it to bring my wife into a state of addiction to riding. Then I sold it to my neighbor, a professional mechanic, and bought a 1982 GL1100. As an aside, I let that one sit for approximately 8 years and paid for it in blood, sweat and tears (see "Bad Goldwing Dad" on this forum). Okay, I learned my lesson(s).

My neightbor learned nothing. He last rode the bike in 2009. It sat until the front brake froze. I fixed it. Then it wouldn't start. I fixed that. Then the rear wheel had to come off because the rear brake froze and you have to remove the axle to remove the rear caliper. While the wheel was off, it was time to replace the rear tire. He fixed that, because I refused to put the brake caliper back on with that worn out tire on it.

What I recall being a bleeder fitting had been snapped off sometime in the past. I tried an e-z out to remove what was left and snapped the e-z out off in the hole. Several hours of drilling the e-z out out with a cobalt bit and then a series of larger e-z outs (I'm getting tired of typing that...) and larger drill bits have produced what you see here.

Problem #1 solved. Not neat, but there is again a hole there. Problem #2 is confirming that my memory is correct in that this was a bleeder valve. Every parts diagram I can find shows the rear brake line entering there. Wrong, wrong, wrong - as you can see, the brake line attaches on the other side of the brake pads. That fitting was so badly rusted I had to cut the brake line and deal with the fitting on my bench. So, can somebody with a '76 please post a picture of their caliper so I can get to sleep tonight?

Problem #3 - as y'all can see, I have completely boogered up that hole. If you look close, you can see the suggestion of threads in the walls of the hole. I think I have also completely ruined whatever seat was present at the bottom of the original hole.

I don't want to admit defeat and buy another caliper, nor do I want to pay for one. If necessary, I'll over-drill for whatever sized aluminum plug I can find and then drill and tap that to accept a bleeder fitting.

(sigh) so what think ye all?

Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: This is why we do MAINTENANCE!!!

Postby Placerville » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:45 pm

I think you've screwed the pooch. Pick up a used rear caliper on eBay.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby Grasshutperformance » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 pm

Placerville wrote:I think you've screwed the pooch. Pick up a used rear caliper on eBay.

Well, that caliper IS repairable, but it would be sooooooo much cheaper to buy a replacement caliper. I could repair that caliper just fine, for around $400. You will probably find one on ebay for $50 or less. That would be the way to go, unless you are ridiculously rich and love to spend money needlessly!

Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Sometimes, ya jest gotta hang yer head and admit defeat.
This is one of those times.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”