GL1000 Front Caliper Pin B rubber sleeve

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
buddyjaet
Motorcycle: 75-1000, 78-1100 being rebuilt.

GL1000 Front Caliper Pin B rubber sleeve

Postby buddyjaet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 pm

I can post a pciture and measurements if needed but was curious if anyone has already found a suitable material to replace teh rubber slever on the front caliper Pin B? Rebuilding a 1975 set of forks and brakes, during tear down, one of the Pin B had a major tear in the rubber piece.
I was thinking of just find a length of shrink tubing to fit and put it on then see how it worked.
Curious if anyone else has ever dealt with it?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: GL1000 Front Caliper Pin B rubber sleeve

Postby Placerville » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:24 pm

If it's exposed to brake fluid, it won't work. If not, it might be worth a try.

My advise would be to not try to jerry-rig anything on your brakes. Because the part you need is no longer available from Honda, I'd suggest you consider picking up a 'for parts' caliper on eBay. Also, have you done a Google search? With a quick search on 'GL1000 caliper pin B' I can up with several hits. Here's one: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/GL_1000_K3_Goldwing/78/picture/Front_Caliper_Mounting_Pin_Boot_B/.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

buddyjaet
Motorcycle: 75-1000, 78-1100 being rebuilt.

Postby buddyjaet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Thank, however not the part I am talking about. The nice engineers at Honda used the same caliper Pins for the GL1000 models, then changed it.
These pins that slide within the bracket are no longer made by Honda, one was called Pin A, the other Pin B, well Pin B has a recessed portion that also has a rubber sleeve, seen similar design on other caliper pins.
The rubber bellows photo you showed me comes with an decent caliper rebuild kit. But sadly that isn't what I need for this situaion.
This rubber part I have not seen mentioned at all and if the previous owner of this bike had been more careful I probably would care either.
If brake fluid were to get on the part, then I would have serious system leak issue to deal with.
Lucky, the only thing touching this part is the caliper bracket and some brake system grease so they slide as the pads wear.
I have found plenty of NOS Pin B out there for $12 and up plus shipping.
Just have not yet found any shrink tube or other rubber with a suitable diamter to go around the pin, but then this pin is .47" and most of my shrink tube is for 10 gauge wire or smaller. I already tested the affect of the brake grease on some shrink tube, no affect on it. Just for grins also added some brake fluid to a test piece of shrink, depending on the type of tubing made it a bit more flexible but no ill effects at all that I can tell.
It is early perhaps someone else out there may have some experience with this.
Thanks again.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:21 am

Why don't you post a pic. Some of us have old parts piling up and may have one of those. If we knew for sure what or where it fit.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”