77 GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Saulito
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

77 GL1000

Postby Saulito » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Hello, I can't get my bike to start. It's been sitting for a long time. Cranks and sounds like it wants to go but, alas! It goes not. New battery, Gas, spark plugs. Thank you for any help.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 77 GL1000

Postby Placerville » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:55 am

Saulito wrote:Hello, I can't get my bike to start. It's been sitting for a long time. Cranks and sounds like it wants to go but, alas! It goes not. New battery, Gas, spark plugs. Thank you for any help.

You need 4 things to make an engine run - fuel, air, spark and compression. So, where to begin?

Always start with fuel. Are your carbs getting fuel? Pull the bowl screws out a few turns and see if fuel runs out. If not, you're not getting fuel. Pull the main fuel line from the carbs, point it into a container and hit the starter button. Any fuel pumping out? If not, you need to work backwards until you find the cause of the fuel restriction e.g. faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel lines, filter or petcock, internal tank lines restricted or a clogged air vent in your fuel cap (which restricts fuel from leaving your tank).

Once you've determined that you have fuel to your carbs, work on spark. Do you have a spark at your plugs? Is your kill switch turned to OFF? (We've all done it.) With your kill switch set to ON, pull the plugs on one side. Ground one of the plug bodies and hit the starter button. Do you see spark jumping at the plug tip? Yes? Test the rest and ensure that all of them are sparking. If only one or two is sparking e.g. #1 and #2, you could have a coil issue. If you're not getting any spark, you need to work backwards towards your ignition.

That's enough for now. Do the above and re-post with your finding/questions.

BTW, when a GL sits for an extended period, the carb bowels dry up. When this happens, it takes a lot of cranking to get the pump to refill them. If you're lucky, this may be your only problem. Remove your fuel cap to give your tank extra air (so gas can easily flow out) and try to start it again. Choke it fully and open your throttle all the way.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”