engine running rough

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
legstoshort
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 k2

engine running rough

Postby legstoshort » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi every body across the pond.
A few months ago I joined goldwingdocs after buying a 1977 gl1000 k2 of ebay.
I am having a lot of trouble with engine running rough.
I have read a lot of info on goldwingdocs and I think its great.
I have done a lot hours on engine with some success thanks to help from this site, but I have still got engine running very bad.
To day spent a lot of time adjusting points (doing split timing etc.),but engine would not start without a lot of choke even then it was missing and back firing though carbs.
I have also taken air cut of valve apart and looks ok.
As I cannot check timing with a scope as I do not have a sight glass i slackened screws that hold points back plate (for 2and 4 cylinder's) and i pushed plate to right engine started to run a lot better, so i did same with plate for 1 and 2 cylinders and got engine running a bit better still,BUT engine is still poping and not running as it should.
I did take carbs of the other day and found one jet (35it said on jet) blocked.
SO WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT ?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: engine running rough

Postby Placerville » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Now that you have the carbs out and have discovered a clogged jet, why not bite the bullet and rebuild them? Once done, clean your tank and ensure that everything between the tank and carbs is clean before your put them back in. Sync them, and go from there. For your carb kit, go Randakk all the way.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 pm

It's absolutely a must that you get the timing correct.Your method is incorrect.
The timing can be set properly with just a test light.
The split timing sounds difficult at first but it really isn't .
You must set the gap correctly for the first set of points,rotate to the timing mark and then move the mounting plate to set the timing.

Snug the plate.
Rotatable the engine to the second timing mark...adjust the point gap only till it sparks.DO NOT move the base plate.

Get the feeler gauge and measure the gap on both when they are full open.
Most likley,one will be different.
Now the secret...example..set the point at 0.014"... The second one measures at 0.018"...
This is where you "split the difference"...start over and re-gap the first set to the difference 0.016".
Now when you time it,both points open exactly on the mark and open exactly the same ammount.

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:57 am

Hi when you had the carbs off. did you set the float levels. and checked the air pucks are not stuck.
if you were a bit nearer to Portsmouth uk I would have helped you out

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 am

Hi Placerville,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Q Why should I buy a carb kit from Randakk, Why should I replace all jets etc.,what is wrong with old jets apart from being clogged up.
Aim not being sarcastic with you Placerville I just like to understand why.

Hi virgilmobile,
Thank you for your replay.
Aim going to check timing again this morning with a test light as you suggest, so I do not need a stroboscope or would it be better with a scope ?.

Hi terrvt, Thank you for your reply.
Why is there a need to set carb float levels? and what are pucks?.
If I were a bit nearer to Portsmouth I would Let you help me out. (THANKS FOR THAT)
Sorry I have put all reply's on one page, if I did them all separate it would take me hours.
A big thank you to all for your quick reply's

P.S Yesterday when engine was warm and running I sprayed some wd 40 at inlet manifolds (at hose ) and guess what? when I sprayed wd 40 at hoes for number 2 cylinder I noticed a difference in engine tone and engine did run a bit better and the same with number 3 cylinder, but with 1and 4 cylinders there was no difference when I sprayed wd 40 what does that till mean?.
P.S how do I adjust air screw jets?

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:29 am

Hi It sounds like 2 3 inlet manifolds rubbers are perished try rubbing some silicone sealant around them to stop the air being sucked in
as for the pucks and float levels there all to do with the running of these engines have you looked on this site. it a very good write up on cleaning these carbs and setting float level. best of luck with this as I had mine on and off a few times before I got it right
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2952

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41 am

I used a 12 volt lamp with clip leads.put the lamp right next to the hole where you see the timing mark.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm

legstoshort wrote:Hi Placerville,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Q Why should I buy a carb kit from Randakk, Why should I replace all jets etc.,what is wrong with old jets apart from being clogged up.
Aim not being sarcastic with you Placerville I just like to understand why.

Hi virgilmobile,
Thank you for your replay.
Aim going to check timing again this morning with a test light as you suggest, so I do not need a stroboscope or would it be better with a scope ?.

Hi terrvt, Thank you for your reply.
Why is there a need to set carb float levels? and what are pucks?.
If I were a bit nearer to Portsmouth I would Let you help me out. (THANKS FOR THAT)
Sorry I have put all reply's on one page, if I did them all separate it would take me hours.
A big thank you to all for your quick reply's

P.S Yesterday when engine was warm and running I sprayed some wd 40 at inlet manifolds (at hose ) and guess what? when I sprayed wd 40 at hoes for number 2 cylinder I noticed a difference in engine tone and engine did run a bit better and the same with number 3 cylinder, but with 1and 4 cylinders there was no difference when I sprayed wd 40 what does that till mean?.
P.S how do I adjust air screw jets?

Randakk is probably one of the world's leading experts on the early GL.

He sells the highest quality parts, not a ton of them just some of them.

IF you have the carbs off and it is doing all the things you say, you should just rebuild the carbs and use Randakks kit.

It's not cheap but it is the best.

The gas tank is also very important. No sense in doing the carbs if the tanks is rusted out.

Check out Randakks.com

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi every body.
An up date about my engine.
Yesterday when I was checking over on engine ie timing ect, I noticed when I pulled number one plug lead of and held it so far from end of plug engine ran better, the same when I pulled two lead of.
ANY idea's.
I have done timing till I was blue in the face, what am I missing.
Should I go electronic points or what ?.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”