76 Starter Button Failure & Fix. Thoughts Moving Forward?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

76 Starter Button Failure & Fix. Thoughts Moving Forward?

Postby landisr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello again. I rode The Wife's 76 Wing back to Michigan (2350 miles). The ride was great and the ol' beastie seemed to enjoy the trip, too, as it only gave me one problem the whole way. About 15 miles north of Gallup NM I pulled over to double check the bungees etc. As I coasted to a stop I heard a strange noise that turned out to be the starter "free spinning". To make a long story short I ended up jerryrigging a remote switch to act as a starter switch. I have a replacement handlebar switch module which will be installed shortly.

Now to the reason for this post: The bike has an H4 replacement headlight unit which works great. I love the amount of light it puts out, and keep a replacement bulb in the top shelter. But I am wondering if this may have caused the starter button failure because of the design of the starter system vs the additional draw of the higher wattage bulb, and further, should I expect similar failure sometime down the road? Should I introduce a relay as a preventative measure? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Ron in AZ

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 76 Starter Button Failure & Fix. Thoughts Moving Forwar

Postby Placerville » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

landisr wrote:SNIP...."because of the design of the starter system vs the additional draw of the higher wattage bulb, and further, should I expect similar failure sometime down the road?
Yes.

Should I introduce a relay as a preventative measure?
Yes.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53453&hilit=how+to+wire+a+relay+switch
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: 76 Starter Button Failure & Fix. Thoughts Moving Forwar

Postby landisr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks a bunch, PV.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”