Engine Running Rough After Being Stored "Wet"

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Kintan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Engine Running Rough After Being Stored "Wet"

Postby Kintan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm

So I made a mistake and put my bike away without proper storing procedures. I didn't have the time or the money when I did it and now it appears I am paying the price.

I finally got it started without having to pull the whole thing apart but now it runs really rough. At first I could not get it to idle period and it would shut off every time it idled down. I got that fixed *I think* by just riding it and "blowing all the junk out" but now when idling it sounds like the cylinders are missing or something is slipping. Also, there is smoke coming from each cylinder head cover area. It kinda smells like oil is burning but not totally sure. I was having an issue with the cylinder head covers leaking but I got that taken care of with some gasket seal. At least on one side, the other didn't leak. Not sure if that is part of it or not.

I guess my question/concern is, any ideas if this is a normal thing that will go away or do I need to do some more drastic maintenance? IE rebuild the carbs...again...or take off the cylinder heads and clean them out...again...

Any help is appreciated.

sfruechte

Re: Engine Running Rough After Being Stored "Wet"

Postby sfruechte » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Look for anti-freeze on top of the engine. The water pipes that cross over the top have o-rings that tend to leak. This can leak anti-freeze down on your heads and can smoke a little as the engine warms up. It should go away when warm if this is the source of your smoke.

Kintan

Re: Engine Running Rough After Being Stored "Wet"

Postby Kintan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm

sfruechte wrote:Look for anti-freeze on top of the engine. The water pipes that cross over the top have o-rings that tend to leak. This can leak anti-freeze down on your heads and can smoke a little as the engine warms up. It should go away when warm if this is the source of your smoke.

Those are good. I checked them when I noticed the oil leak and started checking seals and what not. I only notice the smoke after I have been running it and I come back home. This was the first time I took it out after fixing the idle problem. Only ran it about 10 miles or so.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”