Lots of work for 3 worn dog ears!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Grasshutperformance
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Lots of work for 3 worn dog ears!

Postby Grasshutperformance » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 pm

OK, my 77 started jumping out of first gear. I was pretty sure it was the dogs and not a shifter fork, because if I left my foot on the shifter in the down position when it jumped out of gear it pushed my foot back up to the same place the shifter would be at rest. Well, I ride A LOT so did not want to be without the bike so I started in second gear. While doing this I looked for another bike to use that motor while I repaired mine. I even rode from Detroit to Pennsylvania, 700 miles round trip! I found a 78 and pulled that motor and painted it all black, and (after some repairs, mostly gaskets and seals and timing belts) put it in my 77. Great having a bike with first gear again! And I like the 78 cams. I know they are detuned, but they are fine for me and I need more data points to be sure, but I may be getting around 12.5% better gas mileage.
Anyway, I tore down the 77 motor, getting ready to powder coat and paint engine parts, and do internal anti friction coating and thermal barrier coatings. I was right, the dogs on first are bad, here is a pic. The bike did not run when I got it, and probably ran poorly before the PO parked it. My guess is that he had it idled up too high allowing the dogs to grind when putting it in gear.
Anyway, here is the pic,
and I will likely not be putting the motor back together for a bit. will not install it till next year, so will have to decide if I want to use over sized pistons or not. Still need to measure the bores. If I do go over size, it will be minimal, and I will machine a "stress plate" to bolt onto the case in place of the head to simulate the load the head puts on the case, and will make the bores straight, round, and to size that way. 99% sure I will be reusing the bearings, they look fine and I will be coating them, so they will be a little bit tighter. Will need to check my clearances first to be sure I have room. I can always open up the main and rod bores by 0.0005 to compensate for the coating. I will also keep the 78 cams with my 77 motor. I will sell the 78 GL1000 next year built as a café racer
Tom

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: Lots of work for 3 worn dog ears!

Postby landisr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:00 am

Wow! You sure have a greater skill set than I. But unless you're looking for a performance boost, it sounds like the '78 motor is doing just fine. But, then again, it also sounds like you're in the market for a PROJECT! :lol: Have fun!

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Grasshutperformance

Postby Grasshutperformance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Ron! I am not looking for a performance increase at all. I ride a full dresser, and while I do enjoy twisty roads, I am not into high performance with a bike, and get easily 8 or 9K miles out of a rear tire, (the exact opposite of my hot rod! LOL!).
I want to keep the original engine with this bike, or like you said, I would just keep the 78 motor in it. I will be switching the 78 cams into my 77 motor, for the better gas mileage.
I want to keep the original motor in this bike for purely emotional reasons. I affectionately call this my "cancer" bike. Sadly the PO passed away from cancer, but now the bike is with a cancer survivor, (at least so far LOL!). I am down to Dr visits every 6 months, and blood work every 6 months.
I do enjoy playing with bikes and cars. I used to work for Booth-Arons Racing Engines, and Dart Heads. I got to work with guys like **** Arons, Wally Booth, George Delorian, Bob and Billy Glidden, Richard Maskin, etc. I do enjoy "challenging" myself. This should be interesting!
My glass beading booth is too small to bead the case halves. So I will have to wire brush the flaking coating off of those. The front and rear covers fit in just fine so I glass beaded those, and will powder coat them mirror black. The case halves I will paint mirror black. Would not want to powder coat them anyway, sight glass, and other concerns! I will also replace all the external bolts with stainless steel socket head cap screws with stainless steel washers. Any nuts will also be replaced with stainless steel nuts and washers. Looks really cool against the mirror black.
I have blacked out the wheels, will get all the stainless off the exhaust and black that out also. Will look really nice with the blacked out motor. The bike is 2010 Ford metallic red, and has all LED lights and full Vetter gear.
Tom

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Sounds great. You'll need to post some pics. And congrats on your health!!

So I see you're from the Detroit area. Up until last November I/we lived our entire lives in Lansing (except for a couple year vacation with Uncle Sam). My former roommate won the inaugural NHRA Southern Nationals N/SA class down in Atlanta. I was his pit crew a few times. His shop was just a few doors down from **** LaHaie's. I also occasionally hung around **** Griffin (world's fastest Corvair).

Enjoy good health and your project.

Ron

Grasshutperformance

Postby Grasshutperformance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words! Funny you should mention the Corvair, that is my hot rod, a 1962 convertible with crank trigger, EFI, EDIS, etc. I do love computer controls! I am in Royal Oak, you used to be in Lansing, where are you now?
Tom

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 pm

We are in the Phoenix area, a little ' burb in the East Valley called Queen Creek. I have cousins in Garden City. We will be back in MI in a couple weeks for a visit. Just got my hair cut by a barber who originally was from Owosso. Small world.

Grasshutperformance

Postby Grasshutperformance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 pm

LOL! Yes it is a small world! Garden City is not far. If you have time, feel free to contact me, would be happy to have lunch or something. You can PM me and I can give you my email and phone
Tom

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

A buddy of mine who is still in Lansing took on a little project back in High School: he cut a four door Corvair in half, cut out about a 36" section of the body and made it a two seater. He did a great job of finishing it off, making it look professionally done. He then put in one of the Spider engines plus a few of his own mods. Great fun. It must be nice to have the kind of talent you guys have. :D He has no pictures, tho. He/they lost most everything in a fire a few years ago.

I will give you some advance notice once our plans start to take shape.

Ron

Grasshutperformance

Postby Grasshutperformance » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:26 am

Sorry to hear your buddy lost most everything in a fire, that is terrible! I have a neighbor who is a car designer, he took a 59 Chrysler Imperial and cut it into 47 pieces and welded it back together and made it look like a concept car from 1959. His goal was to make it look like a car Chrysler was going to make to compete with the T Bird from Ford. Did really well at Autorama. He had 10,000 man hours in it! I joked with him that he could not have done the car without me, I loaned him an R8 3/4 inch collet and a rotary table! LOL!
Keep me posted!
Tom

Grasshutperformance

Postby Grasshutperformance » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Thought I would post of pic of my bike as it sits now. Still more to do on it, but looks pretty good for a 77!
Attachments

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 pm

That's really nice! :)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”