1977 gl100 oil leak

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
balkan
Motorcycle: Gl1000 1977
Gl1500 se 1992

1977 gl100 oil leak

Postby balkan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 am

Hi everyone well someone over filled the oil in the engine...got it drained but it was coming from places i never knew exsisted....

i cannot see exactley where it was coming from got the bike stripped so i can see at it...seems to be on the gear side of the engine...ordered new gaskets to be sure but compression is good so dont really want to replace head gasket if i can help it ..

Just cant see where the oil was pouring from seems only plug 1 was oiled up and oil has run all over this side of the top ...
any other suggestions i dont want to refill to find its fubar

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 1977 gl100 oil leak

Postby Placerville » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 pm

balkan wrote:Hi everyone well someone over filled the oil in the engine...got it drained but it was coming from places i never knew exsisted....

i cannot see exactley where it was coming from got the bike stripped so i can see at it...seems to be on the gear side of the engine...ordered new gaskets to be sure but compression is good so dont really want to replace head gasket if i can help it ..

Just cant see where the oil was pouring from seems only plug 1 was oiled up and oil has run all over this side of the top ...
any other suggestions i dont want to refill to find its fubar

Your post lacks the information needed for anyone to help you. It's clear that you (or someone) overfilled the crankcase with oil. What's not clear is from where the oil is escaping. Because of this, the only advise I can give you at this time is to completely drain the crankcase and filter. Refill it with the correct amount of oil (3 liters / 3.2 qts.), remove your plugs, clean them and re-install. Start your bike and see if you have any leaks.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”