Pull the carbs?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
smshnick
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Pull the carbs?

Postby smshnick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:41 pm

O.k, I know this is a doozie, and I've read all up and down the threads in this forum trying to ascertain if I should do this or not. The bike ('77 GL1000) is in overall great condition for the miles (54,xxx), but it does seem to idle a bit rough and has moments where it loses power on the highway (for just a second). It also seems to run through a tank of gas rather quickly..maybe less than <75 miles to a tank. I had a mechanic look at the bike (Cycle Metrics in Beaverton, OR) who said it ran fairly well considering the age of the bike, and it has backfired on me once or twice (in 200 miles of riding) and will occasionally stall at idle even when warmed up. My question is this: should I just go for the gusto and pull the carbs and have Pistol Pete or the guy at the Motorcycle Project do them? Or should I try just cleaning / adjusting timing / checking fuel tank for rust options first? Thanks for any and all advice,

Nick
Attachments

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Pull the carbs?

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm

smshnick wrote:O.k, I know this is a doozie, and I've read all up and down the threads in this forum trying to ascertain if I should do this or not. The bike ('77 GL1000) is in overall great condition for the miles (54,xxx), but it does seem to idle a bit rough and has moments where it loses power on the highway (for just a second). It also seems to run through a tank of gas rather quickly..maybe less than <75 miles to a tank. I had a mechanic look at the bike (Cycle Metrics in Beaverton, OR) who said it ran fairly well considering the age of the bike, and it has backfired on me once or twice (in 200 miles of riding) and will occasionally stall at idle even when warmed up. My question is this: should I just go for the gusto and pull the carbs and have Pistol Pete or the guy at the Motorcycle Project do them? Or should I try just cleaning / adjusting timing / checking fuel tank for rust options first? Thanks for any and all advice,

Nick

Yes on Pistol Pete.

He did nice after experiencing all the symptoms you mentioned.

Hopefully Placerville will offer his expertize on the issue as well.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 am

Very nice '77 Black. I had one just like it in '77. But, it decided to destroy itself in a lock-to-lock speed wooble on the freeway at 80 mph. :oops:

I agree with SnoBrdr that a carb rebuild is in order. Both Pistol Pete and Mike Nixon are the best in the business. You will spend about $400 to have them done. Pete includes an 'off idle' fix and a sync on an in-shop engine. (You should sync them to your bike after installation.) If you have the budget for this, I'd strongly encourage your to send them off for a professional rebuild while you address other issues. If not, and you decide to do them yourself, buy your rebuilt kit from Randakk along with his video.

Prior to reinstalling your rebuilt carbs, you must ensure that your fuel cap, tank, petcock, fuel lines, filter and pump are all in top shape. Drain your tank. De-rust it with Evapo-Rust (expensive, with multiple use capabilities) or Citric Acid (very inexpensive, single use). Rebuild or replace your petcock. Make sure that your tanks' Main and Reserve fuel lines are clean. After that's done, replace your fuel lines, filter and open your fuel pump and clean any restrictions in the ports.

Once you have this done, and you've re-installed and sync your carbs, you'll know that your fuel system is in top shape. After that's done, a tune-up should be done to make the most out of those newly rebuilt carbs.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 am

If you decide to get the Randakk master kit, consider buying his cleanable alloy filter too.
http://randakks.com/products/randakks-o ... erhaul-kit
http://randakks.com/collections/filters ... uel-filter

I can supply you with a set of OEM style braided fuel lines along with new air/vacuum lines for the carbs.
http://www.wingovations.com/braided-fue ... 4579471070

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”