Exhaust Temperature difference on GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Liberaci
Motorcycle: 1977 Gl1000

Exhaust Temperature difference on GL1000

Postby Liberaci » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:09 am

Hi,

This is my first post. Hopefully I am doing this correct. Also my kindest regards to the people that have made this site and make so much info available to NEWBS like me that know nothing about motorcycles, but are for some wierd reason addicted to fixing and upkeeping these awesome machines.

I have a new to me 77 GL1000.

It first sounded like a diesel tractor and I think cyl#3 was not firing.

Prayed to the sea foam gods...and was given a pass. Compression on all cyl is now good.

Rebuilt all the carbs and had them balanced. All that is good.

Bike now has that Goldwing "Whine" vs the clacking sound. I think I did good with this.

I set the lean / rich settings as per the manual available on this site on each carb. (2 full turns out)

Bike seems to run perfect...

I have a lazer temperature gun that you can get from Canadian Tire. You press the trigger and a red lazer beam shoots at a serface and it tells you the temperature.

I did this on each exhaust pipe and found that cyl#3 is much lower then the other cylinders.

#3 is about 50 - 80 degrees lower then the other cylinders.

What I tried:

I tried to make #3 more lean...but I dont want to make it too lean and blow a piston. I assume that making it more lean would increase the temp.

OR....

should I be making all the other cyl's more rich? (This should lower the temps on them.)

This raises another question about fuel consumption. I think I am burning alot of fuel. When the bike is running it makes your eyes burn if inside the garage. This makes me think that I am too rich on all cyl's.

Or...is this due to the low temp on Cyl#3?

I hope this was not already posted on the forum...I searched this but did not seem to find any results.

Appreciate your assistance and thoughts on this.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Exhaust Temperature difference on GL1000

Postby Placerville » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 am

Leave your carbs alone for now. From what you've said (rebuilt and sync'd carbs) it sounds like you've got them in shape. However, you haven't mentioned anything about a valve adjustment. Have you done this? It could be the reason for your temp difference. Also, are you sure you've done your compression test correctly?

Another comment: Have you changed your belts yet? If not, you need to ASAP. PO's lie about everything and your belts are probably past the 5 year/25K mile life span, that is, unless the PO showed you an actual receipt for new belts. Did he?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Liberaci

Postby Liberaci » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:43 am

Wow...thanks for your quick reply.

Compression was tested...it is good. Its slightly lower then what the manual suggests...but more important in my opinion...each cyl is about the same level of compression over each cyl. (i didnt record the values for this post)

Valve clearance was also done. All set to exact specs based on manual using feeler gauges.

I believe you are correct with your thoughts. We did these things first before rebuilding the carbs.

Liberaci

Postby Liberaci » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 am

Timing belts.... forgot to mention...I have a reciept for this in my file folder that was provided by the PO.

It states that this was done....

NEVER BELIEVE THIS!!!!

I plan to have my belts changed. It's next on my list.

I plan to order these from Napa. I believe these belts are common across several platforms?

Thanks for responding and your advice.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Liberaci wrote:Timing belts.... forgot to mention...I have a reciept for this in my file folder that was provided by the PO.

It states that this was done....

NEVER BELIEVE THIS!!!!

I plan to have my belts changed. It's next on my list.

I plan to order these from Napa. I believe these belts are common across several platforms?

Thanks for responding and your advice.

Yes.

Honda part #14400-371-04/14400-371-14
Gates #T274
NAPA #250274
Goodyear Gatorback #40274 (AutoZone & others)
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:50 pm

I just did the same on the 1100. Now I started with a cold engine ,with a fan in front of the radiator and one at the rear for exhaust. I took readings on all exhaust as the engine warmed up. Yes ,number 3 was colder than the others. Few minutes later no. 3 was up but all temps way off. Then I realized not all temps. taken were at the same spot on the exhaust headers. About 1 to 1 1/2 " down on the header they started coming together. After a few attempts to adjust the 50 rpm idle mixture drop to no success in the future, I called It a day set the idle and went for a ride. With in minutes of into the ride, the idle raised almost 200 rpm. I did not do the Go ride Bike for ten minutes or so before you begin next step. I'll just warm it up and get to operating temp. It aint the same and I new better. I am going out tomorrow and start over. Remember, you have four independent engines coming together to idle and run together. So, check the valves again, as I am. I will try to give a after ten minute ride report before I go to step 2,on the exhaust temps. Note: I am pretty happy the way she is running now, just trying to see how close I can get to perfect with a 30 some year old engine. Yes, I like that turbine sound too. keep us posted
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Liberaci

Postby Liberaci » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Redbug,

thanks for checking into this.

Your shooting the temps at 1.5 inches on the exhaust. I will do the same and see if there is that much difference. I have aftermarket exhaust and its hard to get a good shot on each pipe based on how it curves around and under the frame. I will take my temp shots after the engine warms up (temp gage should be showing aprox half way up) and report back. If you wouldnt mind comparing notes, that would be great.

My bike is registered for the road as of midnight tonight, so I should have these readings tomorrow afternoon. Taking my maiden voyage for the first time since I got it.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”