Carb Rebuild Guide?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Kintan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Carb Rebuild Guide?

Postby Kintan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Hey guys. I bit the bullet and decided the best thing to do for my bike was rebuild the carbs. I put it away wet and when I pulled them apart the gaskets fell apart so I just decided to rebuild them totally and see how that helps. Then I am timing the heck out of it. Now a question. I got the SaberCycle rebuild kit (yes I know Randakks is "Better", but some of use have to count cash). That being said is there a good rebuild guide somewhere I don't have to pay for? I looked around and only saw ones I had to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Carb Rebuild Guide?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 am

Kintan wrote:Hey guys. I bit the bullet and decided the best thing to do for my bike was rebuild the carbs. I put it away wet and when I pulled them apart the gaskets fell apart so I just decided to rebuild them totally and see how that helps. Then I am timing the heck out of it. Now a question. I got the SaberCycle rebuild kit (yes I know Randakks is "Better", but some of use have to count cash). That being said is there a good rebuild guide somewhere I don't have to pay for? I looked around and only saw ones I had to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Honestly, take that Saber Cycle kit and throw it in the trash. If you get it to fit at all, you'll find that you're going to have to do it again in a few months. Most people can't get them to seal properly at all. They're that bad.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Randakk kit is not just "better" - it's actually the "best." Better than OEM.

The Saber Cycle kit is $22, the Randakk kit is $209. There are other options, such as K&L, which can be had for around $50. You get what you pay for...the Saber Cycle kit will last you a few months before it needs to be done again. The Randakk kit will last for years and years. Amortize the cost of the kit against how long it will last, then make your decision.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:19 pm

I couldn't agree more.

When you choose the 'least cost' route with critical mechanical parts, you'll always loose. Not only will you loose money (because you'll have to buy the parts again) but, you'll loose time as you do the job again (not to mention the frustration you'll experience). You'll probably be 'out' the money you spent on your Saber Cycle kit as they are ruthless with people who try to return the items they sell. Do as WA recommends and DO NOT install that kit.

Cut your losses now. Save up your money and buy the Randakk kit. Also, you must buy the 'How To' video. Here's two being sold on eBay right now. You can probably get one for just a couple of bucks.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I, too, used Sabre's kits against everyone's advice for my 764As a couple of years ago because of the cost factor. It was a mistake. I've had nothing but problems with them from the get go, from parts not fitting correctly to bowl gaskets that within 6 months had shrunk so much they were fouling floats. Not to mention the customer service, the LACK of customer service. I did end up buying a vac slide from them for my 1500 earlier this year only because they were the only place I could find that had one available. I hated to give them any more money, but I was pressed for time. As far as rebuild guide, Octane's write-up on NGW is a good one http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2952

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Placerville wrote:I couldn't agree more.

When you choose the 'least cost' route with critical mechanical parts, you'll always loose. Not only will you loose money (because you'll have to buy the parts again) but, you'll loose time as you do the job again (not to mention the frustration you'll experience). You'll probably be 'out' the money you spent on your Saber Cycle kit as they are ruthless with people who try to return the items they sell. Do as WA recommends and DO NOT install that kit.

Cut your losses now. Save up your money and buy the Randakk kit. Also, you must buy the 'How To' video. Here's two being sold on eBay right now. You can probably get one for just a couple of bucks.

Wonder what the reserve is on those.

I made backup copies of mine cause dvds can and do go bad.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:I made backup copies of mine cause dvds can and do go bad.

Totally off-topic, but I do the same - particularly for DVDs containing home videos and such. I back them up to my backup server, which in turn gets backed up to the cloud (Crashplan).

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:10 pm

WingAdmin wrote:

Totally off-topic, but I do the same - particularly for DVDs containing home videos and such. I back them up to my backup server, which in turn gets backed up to the cloud (Crashplan).

I won't ever use The Cloud for anything, way too insecure.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:

Crashplan is a bit different. Your data is encrypted on YOUR end, before it is uploaded to the cloud. Crashplan (or anyone else) cannot decrypt the data without the decryption key, which you yourself create. In fact, if you lose your encryption key, you yourself will never be able to decrypt it! So even if their servers are compromised, there's nothing to be leaked or stolen, because everything is encrypted.

Kintan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby Kintan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:24 am

So does anyone know how I can return this kit? I will just spend the extra I guess.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Totally off-topic, but I do the same - particularly for DVDs containing home videos and such. I back them up to my backup server, which in turn gets backed up to the cloud (Crashplan).

Crashplan is a bit different. Your data is encrypted on YOUR end, before it is uploaded to the cloud. Crashplan (or anyone else) cannot decrypt the data without the decryption key, which you yourself create. In fact, if you lose your encryption key, you yourself will never be able to decrypt it! So even if their servers are compromised, there's nothing to be leaked or stolen, because everything is encrypted.

How many bit is the key ?

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Kintan wrote:So does anyone know how I can return this kit? I will just spend the extra I guess.

Good luck with returning or getting any info on anything at SS.

They have one of the worst reputations in any business for customer service.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:I won't ever use The Cloud for anything, way too insecure.

How many bit is the key ?

448 bits.

pistolpete
Motorcycle: GL1000, GL1100

Postby pistolpete » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Kintan wrote:So does anyone know how I can return this kit? I will just spend the extra I guess.

Kintan,
Have you resolved this issue yet?
Pistolpete

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”