Identity a hose for me please.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
mmtindor
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing

Identity a hose for me please.

Postby mmtindor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi all-

Recently received (for free) a 1978 Goldwing. Started her up today and after some starting fluid she idled! Anyways there is this hose (pic included) that started dripping oil once she was running. Earlier today I put three liters in because while she say (for three years) she leaked oil. What is this tube? and why is it leaking oil? Pictures are of the leaking end, and the other end attached to some part of the engine block. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments
Dripping end
Dripping end

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Identity a hose for me please.

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:30 pm

That shouldn't be the same hose. Top pic is the crank vent hose, terminating in the airbox. Bottom pic is the airbox (IIRC) drain hose, and should have a stopper on the end in the pic.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

mmtindor

Postby mmtindor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:56 pm

SteveB123 wrote:That shouldn't be the same hose. Top pic is the crank vent hose, terminating in the airbox. Bottom pic is the airbox (IIRC) drain hose, and should have a stopper on the end in the pic.

any idea why it would be spewing forth oil?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 am

What was the oil level prior to putting in 3 liters (3.2 quarts) of oil? Was the crank case completely empty? Did you check the oil level in the sight glass before putting the oil in? If not, I think you may have over filled it and that's not good.

Your original post isn't clear whether the dripping occurred prior to the putting the oil in, or after. Check the oil level in the sight glass window. If you don't know where the window is, it's located on the bottom right side of the engine by the frame. You may have to clean the exterior of the glass to see the oil. Also, there's a little slotted head in the middle of the glass that you can turn with a screwdriver to clean the window on the inside (like a windshield wiper). The oil level should be between the two lines. If you can't see the top of the oil level in the glass, drain all of the oil and refill with 3 liters. Also, pull your plugs and inspect them for oil fouling.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 am

If that's the "terminal end" of the crankcase vent line, it isn't run correctly. It should terminate in the top of the air box as written previously. In that way, excess crankcase pressure is vented or drawn by the lower pressure of the intake, into the airbox to be burned with fuel/air mixture.

It is possible the previous owner didn't know where it was supposed to go and just pointed it toward the ground.

I also agree that you need to know what the oil level is. Improperly high oil level in the crankcase will cause you all kinds of trouble, like oil leaking from that crankcase vent hose. Too much oil can also contribute to LOTS of smoke at start up if the bike sits on the side stand. So, I'd do as recommended, and drain the crankcase and refill to the proper level. You may as well change the oil filter if you haven't already, while the engine oil is draining.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

mmtindor

Postby mmtindor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:37 am

Placerville wrote:What was the oil level prior to putting in 3 liters (3.2 quarts) of oil? Was the crank case completely empty? Did you check the oil level in the sight glass before putting the oil in? If not, I think you may have over filled it and that's not good.

Your original post isn't clear whether the dripping occurred prior to the putting the oil in, or after. Check the oil level in the sight glass window. If you don't know where the window is, it's located on the bottom right side of the engine by the frame. You may have to clean the exterior of the glass to see the oil. Also, there's a little slotted head in the middle of the glass that you can turn with a screwdriver to clean the window on the inside (like a windshield wiper). The oil level should be between the two lines. If you can't see the top of the oil level in the glass, drain all of the oil and refill with 3 liters. Also, pull your plugs and inspect them for oil fouling.

I wasn't able to tell through the sight glass window on the original oil levels. I even had my husband rock the bike a bit to see if I could spot any liquid through the window.

The dripping occurred once putting oil in the engine, after I had turned on the engine and was idling the motorcycle.

What plugs are you referencing? I will inspect them for sure.

Thank-you HawkeyeGL1200, I will change the oil and put a new filter on.

mmtindor

Postby mmtindor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 am

The spark plugs are totally oil fouled. We checked them before turning the motorcycle on for the first time.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am

mmtindor wrote: The dripping occurred once putting oil in the engine, after I had turned on the engine and was idling the motorcycle.

What plugs are you referencing? I will inspect them for sure.

These "drains" are generally plugged to prevent dripping petroleum products on the road. Some terminate into plastic containers mounted on the frame. Some are plugged. If you look around the lower frame, there should be a smallish plastic "jug" at the end of one or more (can't remember on your model) of the drain hoses.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 am

That tube should terminate at the air breather box on 78 models. Another tube from the breather box drains to a storage container just inside the left foot peg. That container needs to be emptied ever so often. One of the POs most likely removed the container and just terminated the hose to the ground. That isn't going to hinder the operation of the bike. No need to worry about that at this time. The oil is another matter of serious importance. Do get it drained and replaced with the proper amount before ever trying to start the bike again.
And three lashes with a wet noodle for filling with 3 quarts of oil without knowing the existing oil level. ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mmtindor

Postby mmtindor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm

dingdong wrote:And three lashes with a wet noodle for filling with 3 quarts of oil without knowing the existing oil level. ;)

I hang my head in shame and suffer under the adept punishment for my past oily sins. Correct oil change has been accomplished with the proper amount of oil!

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 pm

The question begging to be asked is, how goes the oil leak following the oil change?

mmtindor wrote:I hang my head in shame and suffer under the adept punishment for my past oily sins. Correct oil change has been accomplished with the proper amount of oil!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 am

Keep in mind. Since the engine was leaking badly it may have oil dripping for quite a while.
Curious. Can you see the oil level through the site glass now?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mmtindor

Postby mmtindor » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:56 pm

dingdong wrote:Keep in mind. Since the engine was leaking badly it may have oil dripping for quite a while.
Curious. Can you see the oil level through the site glass now?
HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:The question begging to be asked is, how goes the oil leak following the oil change?

Ok. I can't see anything in the oil window, but with the oil change I finished yesterday there is now the correct amount in the bike. I just started it up and there was no oil leaking from that original hose I asked the forum about. There also doesn't seem to be any oil leaking in any place. Success!

I also put new spark plugs in, super easy.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 pm

I bought a GL1100 a while ago. When I got it home, the first thing I did was drain oil and change filter (that's when I discovered the last time the oil bolt was over-tightened and stripped and it took a pipe wrench and 230# of me standing on it to loosen the filter bolt). The oil looked like liquid TAR... and after filling the crankcase, I had to use a BRIGHT flashlight in order to see level in the sight glass.

I rode it a few hundred miles, drained the oil and changed the filter again. Every aspect of the way it runs has changed by simply changing the oil. I also changed the spark plugs and rode it some more... I like how it handles better than my 1200..

The point I intended to make is, you may want to try a flashlight to check the level in yours too.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Because the oil was so bad, you may want to consider this:

Drain a qt. of oil and replace it with a qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). MMO is proven to work well as a crankcase cleaner. After adding the MMO, go for a 100 mile easy ride with nothing over 3K rpm. When you get home, drain the oil immediately. You may be surprised at what comes out. Refill with Shell Rotella T 15W/40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. It's perfect for wet clutch motorcycles. Many vintage GL owners use this oil and recommend it. About $12 a gal. at Walmart. Inexpensive Fram filters #CH6009 are available at Auto Zone.

The next thing you should consider doing to your GL is a timing belt change. Because this bike has been neglected, I'll bet the belts are over 5 years and 25K miles. If you break a belt, it's very bad news. Don't just look at them and think they're OK. Belts look good right up to the time that they break. A belt change is something that should be done by someone who's mechanical and familiar with these bikes. Instructions for changing them yourself can be found on-line. If/when you decide to do this, re-post for advice.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 am

Placerville wrote:Because the oil was so bad, you may want to consider this:

Drain a qt. of oil and replace it with a qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). MMO is proven to work well as a crankcase cleaner. After adding the MMO, go for a 100 mile easy ride with nothing over 3K rpm. When you get home, drain the oil immediately. You may be surprised at what comes out. Refill with Shell Rotella T 15W/40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. It's perfect for wet clutch motorcycles. Many vintage GL owners use this oil and recommend it. About $12 a gal. at Walmart. Inexpensive Fram filters #CH6009 are available at Auto Zone.

The next thing you should consider doing to your GL is a timing belt change. Because this bike has been neglected, I'll bet the belts are over 5 years and 25K miles. If you break a belt, it's very bad news. Don't just look at them and think they're OK. Belts look good right up to the time that they break. A belt change is something that should be done by someone who's mechanical and familiar with these bikes. Instructions for changing them yourself can be found on-line. If/when you decide to do this, re-post for advice.

I totally agree with all of this. You can use Seafoam in place of the MMO (both work the same way) if it's more available near you. The only thing I would suggest is to use a quality oil filter other than Fram. Fram used to be a high quality product, unfortunately that is no longer the case. Napa sells a high-quality low-cost oil filter that works great, their part number is PS4940.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 pm

That's disappointing to hear but, not surprising. I recently saw a posting (can't remember where) that showed all major brands of oil filter for automobiles cut open so you could actually see the quality and size of the interior filter. It was eye-opening. Some were obviously inferior and poorly made. I've usually had good luck with all types of Napa parts as well.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”