Rusted and stripped bolt for oil filter housing unit

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
mmtindor
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing

Rusted and stripped bolt for oil filter housing unit

Postby mmtindor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm

an example
an example
Hell all-

I have a rusted and stripped bolt holding my oil filter housing on to the bike. I have used PB blaster penetrating oil (copiously) and no luck. I have also taken a hammer to it in attempt to knock something loose. How can I get it off? Would blasting it with fire work? I've seen those videos on youtube.

M
Attachments
The bike in question
The bike in question

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Rusted and stripped bolt for oil filter housing unit

Postby Placerville » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Acetone and ATF (50/50) is one of the best solutions for breaking stubborn bonds between a bolt head and it's mating surface. Heat also works in many situations. The part that gets 'stuck' on a bolt is the bottom of the bolt head where it contacts the mating surface. The internal threads aren't usually the problem. In this case, the oil cover bolt has a very large flange area around the head which, unfortunately, increases the 'stuck' area by about ten fold.

Before applying heat (via a torch), try the Acetone and ATF mixture. Apply it repeatedly over a couple of days. It also wouldn't hurt to tap directly on the head of the bolt to loosen the bond between the bolt and filter cover during the application of the fluid.

If that doesn't work, use a propane torch to heat the head and flange of the oil bolt. Buy doing this, you're causing that area to expand and, hopefully, break the bond. Heat the area for a minute then, using the correct size socket for the head, try to back out the bolt. If it doesn't work, heat it again for two minutes and try again.

If you still can't get the bolt to turn after all of the above, you have a final course of action. Take a pair of large vice grips and lock them tightly to the bolt head. You'll need strong hands to do this as you want the bite on this bolt to be ferociously tight. When you have the vice grips locked down, rotate them until the bolt comes free. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

In the off chance that vice grips can't hold on and the bolt head corners strip off, don't be concerned. At this point, the head and flange can be ground off flush with the cover and the oil cover will then come off. The internal bolt will remain but, you'll be able to easily remove it at this point. Replacements bolts with larger heads are available.
Last edited by Placerville on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:29 pm

The GL1100 I recently bought had the same problem. I ended up having to STAND on a pipe wrench to get the bolt out. If that failed to move it, I had planned to weld a "T" handle on the bolt head in order to remove it.

There's absolutely no reason to over-tighten that filter housing bolt. It seals at the filter housing with an O'ring, and the housing seals to the engine with another O'ring... so making the bolt tighter than it needs to be only leads to problems changing the filter, no help with keeping oil in the engine.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

mmtindor
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing

Postby mmtindor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Placerville and HawkeyeGL1200-

Thank-you so much. I will try your suggestions and will update the thread in a couple days.

M

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Placerville wrote:Acetone and ATF (50/50) is one of the best solutions for breaking stubborn bonds between a bolt head and it's mating surface. Heat also works in many situations. The part that gets 'stuck' on a bolt is the bottom of the bolt head where it contacts the mating surface. The internal threads aren't usually the problem. In this case, the oil cover bolt has a very large flange area around the head which, unfortunately, increases the 'stuck' area by about ten fold.

Before applying heat (via a torch), try the Acetone and ATF mixture. Apply it repeatedly over a couple of days. It also wouldn't hurt to tap directly on the head of the bolt to loosen the bond between the bolt and filter cover during the application of the fluid.

If that doesn't work, use a propane torch to heat the head and flange of the oil bolt. Buy doing this, you're causing that area to expand and, hopefully, break the bond. Heat the area for a minute then, using the correct size socket for the head, try to back out the bolt. If it doesn't work, heat it again for two minutes and try again.

If you still can't get the bolt to turn after all of the above, you have a final course of action. Take a pair of large vice grips and lock them tightly to the bolt head. You'll need strong hands to do this as you want the bite on this bolt to be ferociously tight. When you have the vice grips locked down, rotate them until the bolt comes free. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

In the off chance that vice grips can't hold on and the bolt head corners strip off, don't be concerned. At this point, the head and flange can be ground off flush with the cover and the oil cover will then come off. The internal bolt will remain but, you'll be able to easily remove it at this point. Replacements bolts with larger heads are available.

This was one of the reason I went to Randakk's spin on kit.

Not cheap but not outrageous either.

Just makes life a whole lot easier since I change the oil so often.

PS I would have used the vise grips first anf just bought a new bolt, After the ATF/ACT spray of course.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”