OIL DRIPPING FROM THIS HOLE

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
dbmcd
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

OIL DRIPPING FROM THIS HOLE

Postby dbmcd » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:09 pm

When my bike warms up I see oil dripping slowly from this hole. This is the fuel pump. Is there an o-ring or gasket that is not sealing somewhere? Also sometimes it smokes out the pipe and loads up. I think this is related. I can dig through the manual or take it apart but first I'll bet one of you guys knows exactly what it is...

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: OIL DRIPPING FROM THIS HOLE

Postby Placerville » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:35 am

Replace your fuel pump. Here's your best price. While you're at it, make sure you replace the oil seal for your tach cable (# 9 in the schematic below).
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:41 pm

I missed your 'pipe smoking' comment. You don't say if it's your left or right exhaust. If it's the left, is it only smoking on start-up? If so, stop parking it on the side stand as oil is migrating to the left cylinders. It's very common. If it's both exhausts, and it's smoking all the time, it's not related to your fuel pump. I'd start with a compression test to see what you've got.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

dbmcd
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Postby dbmcd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks for your replies. Now I'm not so sure it was coming from that hole. I do see some dripping from under the right cylinder inboard of the exhaust. The smoking comes from the right side also, but it is intermittent. Sometimes after it's warm. Seems like light blue smoke. I need to do a better job of paying attention to the details in order to resolve this. Thanks again...Dave

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Oil leaks are difficult to find once they've been leaking for awhile. Best to do a thorough cleaning underneath then, go for a short ride, stop and see if you can find the source. If you said it was your left side I'd recommend looking at the shifter seal. On the right side, it could be the large sealing bolt, your neutral switch or your oil level viewing glass. BTW, from the looks of the staining on the back side of your fuel pump, it looks as though it's been leaking fuel through the weep hole. That's a sign that the diaphragm is failing and that the pump should be replaced.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”