coils and wiring

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
legstoshort
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 k2

coils and wiring

Postby legstoshort » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi goldwingers.
Can some one check wiring on gl1000 k2.
I posted earlier about new coils I have got, about wiring, I have just got coils of bike and I have sorted wiring problem I think (on new coils only orange and white wires, coil one orange must go to yellow wire from left points and white wire to black/white, so orange wire on coil two must go to blue/yellow wire from right points.
I was warred I would get wiring wrong and do some damage.
I also asked about resister,but resister wires are separate,so I can just put resister back on.
Old coils look ok, but I may put new coils on any way, plus I would have new plug leads.
I am also putting new plugs in,new plug caps and new points.

castlewing
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Re: coils and wiring

Postby castlewing » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:39 pm

If the coils in question are the pattern Honda ones from eBay that have a male bullet connector on the orange and a female bullet connector on the white then your supposition is probably correct; the thing to remember is that in a negative earth electrical system like your bike any wire that is carrying a positive charge from the bike will be insulated to prevent discharge to earth. Therefore any component, like the ignition coils will have a male connection on the positive side to fit into the insulated female connector coming from the bike's wiring harness and the negative side will more often than not have a insulated female connector so that should either wire become disconnected positive power is unable to earth to the frame. The pattern coils are based on the ones used on the old CB and CD 175, 185 and 200 of around the age of the GL1000, at the time Honda used the same or similar coils on all their bikes. I hope that this helps and is not too confusing.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi castlewing, thanks for your input.
I got new coils from local bike shop, you can see the same ones I got on eBay.
The wire is the other way round,ie yellow goes to black/white , orange geos to yellow according to connectors on new coils.
I will have to take coils back to shop, as brackets on bike are of set and one new coil would have to go on up side down because of how there made.
I could put one on up side down, then plug wires would be coming from top and would be bent water would get inside.
I don't know if wiring can go anyway round or not.
I watched a video about checking spark plugs, when I check mine on meter one was 117.3 resistant( when I test out side of plug) a another one was 73, should be zero)
I live at Askern by the way, my name is Geoff.
Thanks again John.
Going for a lay down in a darkroom now, good night.

castlewing

Postby castlewing » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:39 am

One is a set of GL1000 coils and the other set is what I am assuming you have bought.

If they don't fit then you should take them back, although finding the correct coils could turn out expensive. Have you tried asking on the UK Goldwing Riders forum http://www.goldwingriders.co.uk/? Its a slow forum but quite helpful.

Getting parts for older bikes is often a question of wallet over practicality, if you want the genuine part then you are going to have to pay a premium price, but if you don't mind making a few modifications then similar parts may do the same job for less cash. Somewhere in the universe there is someone who has decided that the word Goldwing equals Dumbass Rich Person, anything for a wing seems to be twice the price as the same or similar item for any other bike... or is that me being cynical?

Somebody somewhere in the UK will have a set of usable GL1000 coils, but they will want top dollar for them. Its for you to decide if you want to pay for them or make something else do the job.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:15 am

Hi castlewing.
Top photo is what I got, bottom photo looks like coils on my bike.
I don't think it is the coils after all ,but I am going to put new ones on as I think it will improve running.
I can get new coils to fit if I put one on ordinal brackets upside down, what do you think,as you pointed out originals are to expensive.
If you look at wire terminals on new coils they are push on, would these need sealing with something ?, also I do not know what ohms new coils are.
Thanks very much for your help.

castlewing

Postby castlewing » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:05 pm

They are supposedly coils for points ignition so there shouldn't be a problem but if you can afford it, replacing both coils would be a better bet; and as far as protecting the connections, as they don't actually get wet (or shouldn't) a spot of WD40 or GT85 should keep away the damp.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am

Hi castlewing,
Bike as just been for m.o.t. and passed ( :D )so to day I have sent v55/5 form to reg and tax bike.
m.o.t tester rode bike back to my house and said that he thinks it is running on three cylinders until it gets warm then runs on four, any ideas,?.
I have not put new coils on yet, been having a break from bike work.

castlewing

Postby castlewing » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Good news on the MOT, not so good on the miss fire. There are only 4 reasons that a cylinder won't fire; known as "Suck" "Squeeze" "Bang" "Blow"; unfortunately there can be multiple causes for a failure in either. I take it that you have identified the cylinder that is "missing" so that cuts down the work. You have already looked at sparking, am I right in saying that you do have a spark on all cylinders? Having had the bike out for a run is going to help, remove each plug and note the colour and condition of each plug, they should be a light tan colour indicating good running, if the colour is grey to white this indicates that the combustion mixture is weak, either too much air or too little fuel. If the plug is black and sooty this is an indication that the mixture is too rich either too little air or too much fuel; if the plug is black and oily this usually indicates that combustion is not happening that the cylinder is not firing. If you can check all the plugs and record their colour this will be a good starting point for diagnosis of the cause of your misfire.

Don't assume that the misfire is a result of an electrical fault. With you saying that it goes away when the bike warms up could indicate a number of other issues such as lack of compression, faulty engine timing, incorrect fuel air mixture or a number of other issues. It could be that you have already done some of the diagnosis work in order to conclude that the ignition coil was at fault. If you have I apologise for suggesting that you carry out work that you have already done.

http://totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/sparkplugs.htm you will find this web page helpful.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:27 am

Hi castlewing,
Thanks for email.
I have not done anything on bike at week end, but did go to Newark motor bike show on Sunday.
I was disappointed as I was looking for parts for bike, i.e. chrome bar that goes round back of seat with bars for pulling bike onto senterstand,or one that you can put a box on etc.
Since mot and mechanic putting air in tyres I am struggling to get bike of side stand,--- legstoshort :roll:.
Thanks again Geoff. ps will post what I do on bike when I get chance to work on.

castlewing

Postby castlewing » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:13 am

You may like to look into Motorcycle Landing Gear systems... and no they ain't cheap.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:36 am

castlewing wrote:You may like to look into Motorcycle Landing Gear systems... and no they ain't cheap.
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Om5w9PNo-1w/0.jpg

Yes, $3500 USD is certainly not cheap.

Can't believe people actually pay that much.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:12 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
castlewing wrote:You may like to look into Motorcycle Landing Gear systems... and no they ain't cheap.

If it's a choice between a landing gear system and not being able to ride anymore...$3500 might be a steal.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:35 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

If it's a choice between a landing gear system and not being able to ride anymore...$3500 might be a steal.

I'm not so sure about that. It reminds me of the people you see getting out of a car with a care or a walker.

They can barely move their legs to walk, so how can they hit the brakes in a emergency.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”