Replacement Turn Signal and hydraulic front brakes

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
gocoffeer
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Replacement Turn Signal and hydraulic front brakes

Postby gocoffeer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Dear Members...I have a 1978 GL1000 Goldwing. Have had it since 1979... it is my little girlfriend and she is getting on in age now. I am looking to find replacements for some hard to find parts. I currently would like to find a turn signal /light switch substitute for the bike and a front replacement for the brake master cylinder. I have the plastic reservoirs and they are cracking. Can I gather parts from a 1984 Goldwing which have similar looking parts?

Craig

1978 GL1000

Craig Gosselin
1978 Gl1000

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Re: Replacement Turn Signal and hydraulic front brakes

Postby jenagle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Didn't find the complete unit, but the plastic bowl and switch are both at the following link
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:37 pm

The parts that you need for your '78 are no longer available from Honda.

First, do not use Partzilla as an accurate and reliable source for available Honda parts. They are not an actual Honda dealer and, worse yet, they do not subscribe to Honda's data base updates which ensure you a correct list of available parts. (That's why their on-line catalog incorrectly shows your parts as still available.) Plus, I found that their administrative offices are poorly managed. If you order these parts from them, you'll get an email weeks from now that will tell you the parts are no longer available.

The best (and least cost) on-line Honda parts dealer to buy from is HondaBike.com. The best brick and mortar Honda dealer is Western Honda. As well as being an actual Honda dealer, Western Honda has an on-line ordering site and excellent prices. They will match any other Honda dealer price.

Your brake fluid reservoir is available aftermarket from SCI along with many other parts you may need. They are a reliable aftermarket parts dealer.

For your switch assembly, I suggest that you search eBay for a NOS left switch assembly for a '78. NOS left side switch assemblies are rare and pricey. If you can't find one, I suggest you buy one used.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

gocoffeer
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Postby gocoffeer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Thank you guys.... My bike has been more reliable than any other vehicle I have ever owned.... Tires, oil changes, spark plugs and timing belts are the only parts I have ever added. Now...spark module...and some odds and sods are in need of maintenance or replacement... I shall not let the old gal down....I ride it to work all fair weather days.

Craig Gosselin
1978 Gl1000

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”