Splitting case to get to pistons

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Paulwilliams
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000

Splitting case to get to pistons

Postby Paulwilliams » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 am

I know this isn't what you all are talking about, but I don't know where else to find help, so I'm hoping that you can help me for two days now. I've been trying to find out if you have to split the engine on a gold wing 1000 GL 1000 to get the piston and check the rings. I hope I've said this right. I'm doing this for my husband and I don't know who else to turn to. Still hope some of you guys out there can help me. I found places where it talks about what to do after you get it out, but not if you have to split the engine to get it out help help I need help

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: Splitting case to get to pistons

Postby bstig60 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:38 am

See the Clymers Service Manual. It explains the procedure. The engine will come out of the bike intact, but you will have to split the case to get the crank and pistons out of the block. You should open a thread of your own detailing your problem rather than jump in on some one else s thread.
Last edited by bstig60 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Welcome!
Yes after the motors out you will have to pull the heads and then split the case open.The crankshaft is bolted to one half(I'm thinking left hand side,but it's been a while)so you basically lift the right hand side and slide it off of the two right hand side pistons.Then you can unbolt the connecting rods off of the crankshaft and slide the left hand pistons out.That's the easy part.The hard part is sliding the RH case back down over the pistons for reassembly.
BTW If you look at the top left of this page you can download a manual for your bike if you don't already have one.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:41 am

Whoa, slow down. Let's determine why you need to "check the rings". What problems are you having that make you think need to do this?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:22 pm

I agree that you may want to slow down a little before taking the engine out and splitting the cases. These flat four engines appear to be pretty darn tough and can go a lot of miles before a "major" overhaul.

I found manuals for 1100's 1200's and several supplemental manuals available for downloading online... so you may want to try that route before doing a tear down. The copy of the Honda Shop manual I found is very comprehensive for troubleshooting and repair. Unfortunately, I don't have one for the 1000 models... haven't needed one yet.

There's plenty of GL1000 riders here, and many of them are pretty smart about maintenance and repair on the engines. Let the group know what you perceive your trouble is, and maybe one of the members can help you fix what's wrong without splitting the cases... if it HAS to be done, you can always go that route. Oh, and welcome to the site... there's lots of information and helpful folks here.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 am

I agree splitting cases is a big deal..yes you have to it to get to the pistons. But why like everyone said what's the problem???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Paulwilliams
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000

Postby Paulwilliams » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm sorry it is taken me so long to reply to everyone. I set this account up in my husband's name, but he is 73 years old and thinks computers are evil. So I'm the one that's always on it and always looking to answer questions for him. I just barely got on to Gold wing docs and am still trying to figure out how to use it. We did get the engine split and did check the Pistons and replace the rings. I guess the reason you wanted to do it was because he wasn't getting the compression that he needed. Thank you all for the information that you gave and again forgive me for for taking so long to reply

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”