Soft bags, sissy bar, and clutch.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
omw41
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda Goldwing 1000

Soft bags, sissy bar, and clutch.

Postby omw41 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:21 pm

1979 Goldwing 1000:

I cannot seem to find out how to check the clutch fluid. My Vulcan 1500 was a hydraulic clutch and had a fluid reserviour. I read that the Wing has a "wet clutch." I am not sure what that means, so if someone could help me I'd appreciate it. I suspect it has something to do with the engine oil, but I do not know for sure.

I took off my Vetter luggage on the rear of the bike. I'm liking that semi-naked- less is more look on the rear; however, I want to do some soft saddlebags with a sissybar and a backrest for the (wife) passenger.

How hard is it to do soft bags on a Wing? I do not see any online articles or vendor support. What kind of bags should I get? Do I need bag supports? I hate to drill into a pristine grab rail.

Also, I found a sissybar at Sabre Cycle that mounts to the orginal grabrail without doing any drilling, but what about putting a back rest on a bar that comes without one? Is it easy to do?

Thanks!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Soft bags, sissy bar, and clutch.

Postby thrasherg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 am

Can't answer most of your questions, but a "wet clutch" just means the clutch is immersed in oil, most motorcycles have wet clutches with the clutch being immersed in the engine oil. This is why motorcycles should not be filled with regular car engine oil (which contains friction modifiers) as car engine oil can cause the clutch to clip. I would be 99% sure your Vulcan also had a wet clutch.
To check the clutch fluid, look in the small glass window on the master cylinder (on the handlebars), but I think a 1979 wing had a cable operated clutch not a hydralic clutch? Someone more knowledgable than me can speak to this. If it is a cable operated clutch then you just need to lubricate the cable and adjust it for the correct amount of free play.

Regards Gary

omw41
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda Goldwing 1000

Re: Soft bags, sissy bar, and clutch.

Postby omw41 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks. I see no sight glass, but there is a clutch cable, so I think you have answered it for me.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”