76 gl1000 Wont Stay Running

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
baddtazz

76 gl1000 Wont Stay Running

Postby baddtazz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 am

Hello im new here and i got a 1976 gl1000 it will run but have to have the throttel almost all the way open to run at a rough low idil i think it might be the points i dont know at this point and sorry bout the spelling

grumpytroll

Re: 76 gl1000 Wont Stay Running

Postby grumpytroll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 am

what do the plugs look like ? black ? white?
how long has the bike been sitting?
if the plugs are black clean them up and put em back in . see if there is an improvment.
check the gap and the contacts on the points (get a service manual).
check the fuel tank for rust (common problem) rusty tank means rust in the carbs, bad news.
dump a couple oz marvel mystery oil in the fuel to lube the vacuum operated slides.
do one thing at a time to try to pin point the problem.

baddtazz

Postby baddtazz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

ok it has been sitting for about 10 years and i put new pulgs in and no diff i have a ne tank on it never used the old tank but the ponits do not look good at all but the points assy is some where around 54 dollers so i think i need to have them replaced

grumpytroll

Postby grumpytroll » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 am

try filing the points smooth and flat and putting them back in.
what did to old plugs look like?

baddtazz

Postby baddtazz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 am

the old plugs look black that is why i put new ones in

Whiskerfish

Postby Whiskerfish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm

If she sat for 10 years the odds of you getting her on the road without a complete carb rebuild are slim. I am not saying it can not happen but the odds are really stacked against you. I would try some doses of Cleaner. Also go to Randakks and look for a tech tip on lazy carb cleaning. This is a process where you basically fill the carbs with cleaner and let it sit overnight. It does help a lot and you might get lucky.

baddtazz

Postby baddtazz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 pm

the carbs have been rebulit the insides of the carbs are brand new

baddtazz

Postby baddtazz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 pm

ok good news is after i clened and set the points and replaced all the intake seals it runs like a dream ty all for the help

fifteenbirds
Motorcycle: 1977 Goldwing GL1000

Postby fifteenbirds » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:09 am

:shock: New to the forum. Hi Everyone! I found this site looking for service manuals and I am really pleased.
Glad to see many members getting their classic Goldwings running. I'm ready to re-start my project 1977 Goldwing.
I bought the pristine garaged machine in 2005 ... with the help of a mechanic... the carbs were replaced down to the
serial no. for the model along with the stator and a few other parts... before we assembled the fairing and saddle-bags
we gave the Goldwing a test and ran into electrical problems blowing fuses. The mechanic fell in love and found other
work, I became pre-occupied with getting my 3 teenagers into automobiles and helping kick-start them into the future.
Since then, they have all moved away from home. The twins are both in the service, my son Lance Corporal in the U.S.
marines serving at a Navy base in the U.S., His sister is 6 months into her service in the U.S. Coast Guard.

I just met another young mechanic who is eager to help reassemble the bike and wants to see it roadworthy...
I'm cleaning up the garage and taking another step into the adventure of re-building a classic motorcycle.

I expect to be back asking for tips if we run into trouble. I'll be happy to share any info I can if it can be helpful to the
forum. I am sitting with a good carb core from the original '77 and a new re-built engine that we decided not to use.

If this project goes smoothly, I'm thinking about taking on another... We'll see! thanks to all who so graciously share their
information, and experience and frustrations. 8-)

fifteenbirds
Motorcycle: 1977 Goldwing GL1000

Postby fifteenbirds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Started working on the electrical last week... decided the fairing is not going back on... Re-working the headlight assy. today.
The first attempt at starting (about 18 months ago mechanic became over anxious and attempted starting before the exhaust was re-assembled Result = Failure... ) We might be closer to having a restored 77 Goldwing with 23757 Original Miles...
than I thought.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”