1977 GL1000 fuel slowly draining out of filter.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
josephl
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing

1977 GL1000 fuel slowly draining out of filter.

Postby josephl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello all, just about the same time I put my Goldwing up for sale, it starts to not maintain a middle fuel level in the fuel filter. I will be able to ride for about 7 to 10 miles before it starts to run out of fuel or I can let it idle and watch it slowly depleat. I read multiple post on the subject with no success. I confirmed The fuel cap was not clogged by loosing it. I also confirmed the petcock was not leaking. I replaced both filter and fuel lines from the petcock to the pump. with the fuel line removed, I get a solid stream of fuel out of the petcock leading me to believe there is no restriction in the pick up tubes and petcock. I removed the fuel pump and confirmed the check valves working normal with 2.5 psi pressure. I also back flushed both main pick up and reserve lines. all clear. not sure what could be the issue. should be something simple. Im just not seeing it. any advise would be appreciated. thanks in advance. bike runs great otherwise.Joey

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1977 GL1000 fuel slowly draining out of filter.

Postby redial » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 am

Just a WAG (wild ass guess), but could the fuel filter be blocked? Alternatively, if the bowl is not filling up, is there a mesh filter at the start that has filled with junk, and restricting the flow of fuel? Some things to check, and let us know how you get on.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

PoolDude
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby PoolDude » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Just ran across this thread and have a similar issue on my 75. The difference is that it only does it when petcock is in the normal operating position, in reserve it's just fine. The tank is full, the lines are clear, I've replaced the manual pump with a low pressure electric, I replaced the seal in the petcock with a stock seal and replaced all the hoses and clamps, still the same. The only thing I can guess is that somehow in the normal position the petcock is sucking air. I will be watching the replies to see if anyone else has an idea.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:09 pm

These issues make me wonder if the "normal" fuel supply line inside the tank may be partially blocked, while the reserve pickup tube is open, perhaps as a result of not being used as often... some trash may have accumulated in the "on" fuel line over time.. maybe removal of the petcock, and "rodding" out of the tube is something that may help. I read where one member suggested using an old speedometer cable (piece) to rod out the tube, since the speedo cable is flexible and I surmised that since he suggested it that the cable will fit down the length of the tubing...

Something to consider anyway.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

PoolDude
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby PoolDude » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 am

That is a thought but the only problem is that the pickup for the reserve is at the bottom of the tank and the normal pickup is above that so it seems debris would accumulate at the reserve pickup first. Also I'm not sure how but when I got this bike there was a massive amount of what looked like caked dirt in the tank. So much that it completely covered the reserve pickup. After several sessions of cleaning including taking a long piece of metal to scrape off the crap I was able to get the tank clean. I then did just what you suggested and ran a cable from the petcock to the pickup on both the reserve and normal sides. Worked great for several years. I sometimes think I've got a nest of gremlins living in this bike.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”