Bike won't start, but you can push start it. New battery.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Dark

Bike won't start, but you can push start it. New battery.

Postby Dark » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a 1979 Honda Goldwing GL 1000. All of a sudden the bike will not start by pressing the start button. The battery is new and fully charged, even had it checked out. I can hear a clicking sound from the battery compartment. There is a cylinder-shaped ( in the battery compartment) part to the rear of the battery, with the positive lead going into the top of the cylinder-shaped part. Is this a relay or coil? I'm not sure that's the problem area or not. The horn and lights work and you can push start the bike and it runs great. Thanks in advance.

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Re: Bike won't start, but you can push start it. New battery.

Postby ekcyclerepair » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:21 pm

The cylinder shaped thing is the starter solenoid. As you stated, the positive battery cable goes to the solenoid. The other cable coming off the solenoid , goes to the starter.

Check the solenoid with a test light. Attach your test light wire to a good ground, then check for power at the two posts on the solenoid. The one going to the battery should have power all the time. The other post should only have power while you are pressing the start button. If the solenoid clicks but there is no power on the post going to the starter, then you have a bad solenoid.

Ernie

Dark

Postby Dark » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 am

Checked out the solenoid with the light tester, it checked out okay. It may be the Start Button, Off and On switch? It doesn't matter if it's in the Off or On position, it will make the clicking sound when you press the Start Button. After testing the solenoid, I turned the key from On to P and the bike backfired without it being started. This is very confusing. Perhaps it is the key switch (igintion)?

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Now, take your test light and check for power to the starter (on the post where the cable is attached). The test light should light up when the start button is pressed. If it does light up, then use a multi meter to verify that it's getting good voltage(12 volts +) and also make sure that the starter body has a good ground. If it's getting the proper voltage and has a good ground , then the starter is bad.

Ernie

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”