78 goldwing 1000 gl


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
arnoldt
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am
Location: gainesville,ga
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1000GL

78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby arnoldt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am



Hey guys, new member here awesome site, my father in law gave me a 78 Goldwing 1000 that sat in his basement for 18 yrs he lost the key, I would like to check the compression, etc. before putting a lot of money in it ,which wires can I jump to get power to see if its firing and any ideas on cleaning old gas from gas tank.
thanks
Arnold t



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:13 am

On the starter relay (black box directly to the right the battery, that holds the main fuse) you'll see two large terminals on the top with two large wires connected to them.



Short those terminals together with a big screwdriver, you'll see a big spark, and the engine will crank, key or no key. This is good for checking compression, but the bike won't start. Be sure the bike is in neutral first, or it will launch itself off the sidestand and into whatever it's pointed at!

SnoBrdr
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:42 am

arnoldt wrote:Hey guys, new member here awesome site, my father in law gave me a 78 Goldwing 1000 that sat in his basement for 18 yrs he lost the key, I would like to check the compression, etc. before putting a lot of money in it ,which wires can I jump to get power to see if its firing and any ideas on cleaning old gas from gas tank.
thanks
Arnold t




First thing I would do is read and understand this: http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a-gl1000-after-a-long-lay-up/

There is no better GL1000 expert than this man.


As to the tank. You can either siphon it out or run a hose from the petcock to a container. Then turn it onto reserve that let it all drain out.
Check inside the tank with a flashlight and see if there is any rust in there.

If there's no rust, make sure you change the fuel filter before you even think about starting it.

The real bad news is if there was gas left in the carbs, they are probably just varnished/mucked up solid and nothing you can do short of removing them and having them rebuilt will do any good.

If you have good compression you then have to decide if you want to send the cash to have the carbs done. You can buy the kit from Randakk, for about $150. Don't bother with any other kit as you are wasting your $$$.

If you don't want to do the job yourself, contact pistolpete, he posts here or any of the other people Randakk recommends.

Need more info, just ask.

arnoldt
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am
Location: gainesville,ga
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1000GL

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby arnoldt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks guys for the advice, my tank had about a gallon of gas left in it , I have cleaned it out with brake cleaner, gas and pressure washed its coming clean slowly a lot of black residue coming, just taking my time and getting it all out. I am following the checklist from randakks, can someone tell what compression range should be. my next step is removing carbs and cleaning them, then cleaning the radiator and checking cooling system, I have till spring to get it road ready. Thanks again for any other helpful advice.

SnoBrdr
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:11 pm

arnoldt wrote:Thanks guys for the advice, my tank had about a gallon of gas left in it , I have cleaned it out with brake cleaner, gas and pressure washed its coming clean slowly a lot of black residue coming, just taking my time and getting it all out. I am following the checklist from randakks, can someone tell what compression range should be. my next step is removing carbs and cleaning them, then cleaning the radiator and checking cooling system, I have till spring to get it road ready. Thanks again for any other helpful advice.


Uhm, I hope that you didn't let the brake cleaner touch ANYTHING not rated for it.

arnoldt
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am
Location: gainesville,ga
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1000GL

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby arnoldt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Well guys thanks for all the helpful advice but this one is now a parts bike, I removed number 2 spark plug and the cylinder had antifreeze in it, and number 4 spark plug does not want to come out and I didn't try to force it. So sad I was looking so forward to fixing this one up. So with that major problem is this thing worth anything or should I carry it to the scrap yard. Seat is good plastics are good has faring etc.

SnoBrdr
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 pm

arnoldt wrote:Well guys thanks for all the helpful advice but this one is now a parts bike, I removed number 2 spark plug and the cylinder had antifreeze in it, and number 4 spark plug does not want to come out and I didn't try to force it. So sad I was looking so forward to fixing this one up. So with that major problem is this thing worth anything or should I carry it to the scrap yard. Seat is good plastics are good has faring etc.


If you have the original seat and bag bar, those in itself are worht $300+.

The carbs are worth money.

What color is it and what shape are the plastics in. I might be interested in those.

If the exhaust is original and in good shape that's worth hundreds.

All of the parts that are in decent shape ware worth $$$.

The bike is worth much, much more in parts than the whole.

But you don't know, it might only be the head gasket that is blown.

Wish I lived closer to you.

arnoldt
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am
Location: gainesville,ga
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1000GL

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby arnoldt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 am

Hey guys since I really don't have anything in the bike I'm thinking about a possible top end rebuild, any suggestions, When I drained the oil antifreeze came out first followed by engine oil, the engine is frozen, I was told to remove the heads and soak the cylinder walls with pb blaster to free up the pistons. my main concern is how long this engine has had antifreeze inside the oil. Any suggestions on parts kits etc.
Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Arnold T

SnoBrdr
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 gl

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:09 am

arnoldt wrote:Hey guys since I really don't have anything in the bike I'm thinking about a possible top end rebuild, any suggestions, When I drained the oil antifreeze came out first followed by engine oil, the engine is frozen, I was told to remove the heads and soak the cylinder walls with pb blaster to free up the pistons. my main concern is how long this engine has had antifreeze inside the oil. Any suggestions on parts kits etc.
Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Arnold T


You really can't tell till you get it freed up and then see what it needs.

A lot of parts are hard to impossible depending on what it needs.

Just doing the heads is usually not a issue it when you srart needing bearings where it can get rough.

Go with OEM parts as much as you can especially on the gasket set.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests