Oil out the right Head

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Bonestock3
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000

Oil out the right Head

Postby Bonestock3 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:33 pm

So i noticed that some oil seeps from my Right Head is this normal? can i just reseal with silicone?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Oil out the right Head

Postby redial » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:33 am

Leaking, dripping, oozing oil is never right. As for silicon, well you could, but that would certainly not be my choice. Besides, I dont think that the silicon would not be affected by oil again, and you would be back to square one. While it is winter, you could probably spend some time doing maintenance, and it sounds like you could start with a new set of head gaskets. While you are doing some of this maintenance, you may as well change the fluids as well. If it has been a 'storage item' then these things may not have been done, and they should be done. Brake/clutch fluids should be changed every two years; coolant has probably exceeded its "use by date" of either 2 or 5 years; and engine oil (after you find out what is causing the oozing), should be changed around winter, unless you are doing a lot of miles.

These GW love to go a distance, rather than around the block. If you are storing for the winter, while doing your maintenance, follow the "winterizing" thread, and then do not start it every so often to "warm it up" as rather than warming it will probably "rust it up" especially in the exhaust.

Good luck with your GW, and enjoy the many miles it will bring you. And welcome from the Deep Deep South, (but we are North of the 49th as well!)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:29 am

Is it leaking from between the head and block or are you referring to the valve cover gasket? If it is actually the head gasket leaking you will eventually have to replace it. There is no other way to fix. Silicone won't do it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 am

I also found on one bike that the small bolt(dead center between the headers on the bottom) was loose.

Bonestock3

Postby Bonestock3 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

dingdong wrote:Is it leaking from between the head and block or are you referring to the valve cover gasket? If it is actually the head gasket leaking you will eventually have to replace it. There is no other way to fix. Silicone won't do it.

i stand corrected i refer to the valve cover gasket.

Bonestock3

Postby Bonestock3 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 pm

redial wrote:Leaking, dripping, oozing oil is never right. As for silicon, well you could, but that would certainly not be my choice. Besides, I dont think that the silicon would not be affected by oil again, and you would be back to square one. While it is winter, you could probably spend some time doing maintenance, and it sounds like you could start with a new set of head gaskets. While you are doing some of this maintenance, you may as well change the fluids as well. If it has been a 'storage item' then these things may not have been done, and they should be done. Brake/clutch fluids should be changed every two years; coolant has probably exceeded its "use by date" of either 2 or 5 years; and engine oil (after you find out what is causing the oozing), should be changed around winter, unless you are doing a lot of miles.

These GW love to go a distance, rather than around the block. If you are storing for the winter, while doing your maintenance, follow the "winterizing" thread, and then do not start it every so often to "warm it up" as rather than warming it will probably "rust it up" especially in the exhaust.

Good luck with your GW, and enjoy the many miles it will bring you. And welcome from the Deep Deep South, (but we are North of the 49th as well!)

The seller insisted he did water pump + oil + tires just last year. even when i said i was sold and taking it with me anyway he insisted it was true. She rode like a champ for 2 hours straight though gas consumption was higher than anticipated.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:25 pm

The seller insisted he did water pump + oil + tires just last year. even when i said i was sold and taking it with me anyway he insisted it was true. She rode like a champ for 2 hours straight though gas consumption was higher than anticipated.

Unless it is fully documented, I would still change the fluids. You then have a baseline to start from, and you can start to find your way around the workings of the GW. As it is now 12 months since the oil was changed, then this is a good time to do it. You could change the coolant, making sure that it is "silicant free", and also make sure the oil does not have those "friction modifiers" that are not nice to GW clutches. As for the tyres/tires, you could get some Dyna beads, and put some fresh air in them :roll: .

Whenever you do stuff to your GW, make sure you write it down and keep a record including date and odometer reading, and it is probably a good idea to write down the parts used and the prices paid, and the name of the supplier of the parts. (If that does not fill your day in, I can give you a couple of parts to polish :D )

It is just while the weather is less than favourable, you may as well keep learning about your GW, and getting it ready for a ride when the weather and roads improve.

There are videos on YouTube that show you how to put your GW up on the centre stand. As others have said, it is always easier to have your bike facing uphill. I try and choose a spot where you can roll backwards to park, and then drive it out. Then, when you are about to start the riding season, take the time to go and do some slow turns in a car park. Most experienced riders will do some practice in this way, every so often, so that their manoeuvring skills do not become rusty, and they remain functional. Some cones/witches hats/shopping trolleys a distance apart, and try some figure 8s, and then move the cones closer together, until you have reached your limit, without the GW getting too tired and wanting to lie down :o

There is also a video on YouTube that shows you how to pick a GW up after it has had its rest. It is better to know the technique than bust a heart valve doing it the wrong way.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am

Here's a thread with two videos: One is me putting my GL1100 on its center stand, the other is me doing the same to my GL1500:

How to get a Goldwing on or off the center stand

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Well, this caveman tried the gasket sealer because I am cheap,,, guess what.....???? Caveman broke down and bought him a real set of new Honda gaskets from the Honda store....I just got tired of the small drips it still had, I mean it will slow the oil down considerably but, yeah just fix it proper... :D :shock: Don't have any leaks now...

Bonestock3

Postby Bonestock3 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 am

[quote="redial"]
"make sure the oil does not have those "friction modifiers" that are not nice to GW clutches"

** could that be the slight grinding I get when releasing the lever into first gear?

"It is just while the weather is less than favourable, you may as well keep learning about your GW, and getting it ready for a ride when the weather and roads improve."

** its been in the 30's but i haven't been able to let her rest & i'll swap her fluids today; u r right about having a starting point. 1yr is a long sit for oil anyway so ill stay busy w/ that you might want to get a caveman to polish them other parts for you haha

There is also a video on YouTube that shows you how to pick a GW up after it has had its rest. It is better to know the technique than bust a heart valve doing it the wrong way."

then ill be busy with this. Much thanks for your help. I was hesitant to open the valve covers but torque wrenches are relatively cheap and theres enough information to boost my capabilities. Also about these Dyna Beads they sound awesome, where have they been all my life?

@littlebeaver thanks for sharing your experience. I was advised to do silicone but I rather double check and will go the route of a new gasket per side.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”