Instrument lighting

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Instrument lighting

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 am

Would someone please explain to me, the process regarding the dismantling of a speedometer and tachometer, on a 1978 GL1000, to change the instrument's light bulbs? Do I have to remove the meter from the motorcycle, and would I have to remove a Windjammer SS fairing to gain access? I had the internals repaired on the speedometer a few years ago and that required special tools and technical know-how that I didn't have. Changing light bulbs should be an easier task. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Instrument lighting

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Are both bulbs not working - I would check electrical connections first - if they were and both stopped.

Speedo and Tacho are the same - first off remove the cables from the back of each (I would do one at a time). Then remove the two acorn nuts holding the gauge to the chrome base. Once removed then lift out the gauge - you will see a rubber grommet which houses the bulbs and the connection, gently remove it and replace the bulb - just check it works before putting it back together.

There are two bulbs to each gauge

here is a parts diagram for you

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you for that information, especially about a gentle approach while dismantling. That always make good sense. It doesn't sound too complicated at all, so that's definitely good for me.
Both of the bulbs, in both meters are working. I'm interested in possibly upgrading to LED bulbs. I have to say that the lights are somewhat dim, so I suppose it could be contact problems, which I'll check, or maybe simply it's just old original bulbs that have degraded. Thanks also for the parts link. Here's a link that you might find interesting. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21179&p=116257&hilit=lighting#p116257
"Assume Nothing"

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Dim light is probably from a bad earth, so you could clean up those connections first - these bulbs are quite small so I don't know if they make LED's that will suit the application, hope they do - it would be nice to have a nice blue light behind instead of the white.

Good luck with it..

Charlie

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks Charlie,

Martek LED has bulbs that I believe would do the trick. http://www.martekled.com/-strse-188/Min ... Detail.bok
In the product description they suggest coloured LEDs behind coloured lens, and white LEDs behind clear and frosted lenses. I'm not sure if a coloured bulb would illuminate, sufficiently, the speedometer and the tachometer, and my temperature guage, fuel guage, and voltmeter, which all have clear lenses. Although, blue would be quite elegant. The oil/headlamp/neutral lights and turn signal indicators are, of course, coloured, and would probably be better with a coloured bulb, as they suggest.Trial and error can get expensive. I emailed Martek to confirm the multiple bulb discount, when ordering a combination of different coloured bulbs, but I have yet to here back. I'll let you know if they get back to me. I need 12 bulbs of varying colours and their prices are $10.95 (1-9) and $6.65 (10-29), a substantial difference, and for me at least, a substantial outlay, in any case, when you add on taxes and shipping.
I don't know if this retrofit would work for your '81 Interstate. I don't believe your motorcycle has a digital dash, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again Charlie...........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Dave,

These would work in mine for sure, but I'm not fussed with how they look as long as they work. They are a bit expensive though.

Cheers

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Dim light is probably from a bad earth, so you could clean up those connections first - these bulbs are quite small so I don't know if they make LED's that will suit the application, hope they do - it would be nice to have a nice blue light behind instead of the white.

Good luck with it..

Charlie

Not necessarily. These bulbs after years of use, tend to coat the inside of the bulb with metal that is evaporated from the filament. The end result looks something like this:

Silver coated bulb
Silver coated bulb

The result is that the bulb is functioning, but the amount of light getting through the glass bulb is very small. Replacing with a new bulb or (better yet) an LED will fix this problem.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello again everyone,

I just received an order from Super Bright LEDs to convert my instrument lighting, and hopefully brighten things up. That order is on it's way back, because the light emitted wasn't even close to that of a new 3.36 watt incandescent bulb, which does significantly improve guage illumination. The bulbs that I'm replacing are old, and somewhat blackened, so it's definitely time.
Having said that, does anyone think that a 4 watt incandescent instrument light bulb, which is 20% more than a 3.36 watt bulb, would be 20% brighter, and 20% hotter? Do you think, that if it is in fact 20% hotter, that would be enough extra heat to result in instrument damage? I may be answering my own question here, but after the 3.36 watt bulb was on for 5 minutes, it was easy to hold with bare fingers. I only tried it in one of my 3 tank-top guages, and those guages have a few vent holes to release whatever heat does build up.
A 20% increase in light output would definitely be nice. I just thought that I'd run this one by you, to get your comments.

Just sayin'..................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Solina Dave wrote:Hello again everyone,

I just received an order from Super Bright LEDs to convert my instrument lighting, and hopefully brighten things up. That order is on it's way back, because the light emitted wasn't even close to that of a new 3.36 watt incandescent bulb, which does significantly improve guage illumination. The bulbs that I'm replacing are old, and somewhat blackened, so it's definitely time.
Having said that, does anyone think that a 4 watt incandescent instrument light bulb, which is 20% more than a 3.36 watt bulb, would be 20% brighter, and 20% hotter? Do you think, that if it is in fact 20% hotter, that would be enough extra heat to result in instrument damage? I may be answering my own question here, but after the 3.36 watt bulb was on for 5 minutes, it was easy to hold with bare fingers. I only tried it in one of my 3 tank-top guages, and those guages have a few vent holes to release whatever heat does build up.
A 20% increase in light output would definitely be nice. I just thought that I'd run this one by you, to get your comments.

Just sayin'..................Dave

Really? When I put SuperbrightLEDs LED bulbs in my dash, they were overly bright - far more than incandescent bulbs. I actually ended up putting filters (glued small piece of opaque white milk bottle on the top) to tone down the intensity of the lights.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”