clutch

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
dark glasses
Motorcycle: 1976 honda gl1000

clutch

Postby dark glasses » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:08 am

hello i m new to the goldwing family.i have a 1976 honda goldwing gl1000.
this bike sat for 2 years before i got it, i was haveing trouble with the shifting of gears the few times i rode it.
then afew awhile the cable broke on it.replace the cable and adjusted it, but now it wont disengage.i dont own a manuel, as yet but i would like to know how to replace the the clutches in it so i can get some riding time in this summer.i live in cleveland , ohio so my riding time is not very long. is there a web sit that has the picture of how to replace the clutches in this mc? :?
i m also on skype as salem1001.
i hope sometime comming i can be a help to some one also

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: clutch

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 am

OK, not trying to be funny here but let's try some logic.

It was shifting before but not well,
The clutch cable broke; before it finally broke it would have stretched, loosing the correct adjustment and causing the bad shifting.
You have replaced the cable but now have NO shifting.

So now you want to replace the clutch??

Try this first. There should be two adjusters on the cable, one at the lever and one inside the false tank shelter (some aftermarket cables don't have this one) . Screw them right in.
On the back of the engine there is a small round black cover. Nor easy to get at any of this, but first remove the cover. Inside you will find a screw with a locknut on it. Slacken the locknut and turn the screw in until it makes contact. Back it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and tighten the locknut. Replace the cover. Remove the majority of the cable slack on the centre adjuster and make the final adjustment at the lever. You want about an 1/8-1/4 slack here.

Another thought. If it has been sitting for a long time, the clutch plates can get stuck together. Usually getting some miles on it with fresh oil in will get them freed off but in the worst case you will have to dismantle the clutch. That can be done with the engine in the frame but it's a right royal PITA to do.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

dark glasses
Motorcycle: 1976 honda gl1000

Postby dark glasses » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 am

cool, i found that cover on the back and did the adjustments . tyred to ride and and it still wouldnt disengage.then something happen, something came loose on the inside trans and rolling around in side. :o soon as you start it up ,sounds like something rolling around in side :x .
i m loss at this point. :?

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Oh dear! Sounds like you may have big trouble there. Could be an 'engine out' job. Do not attempt to do anything without having a workshop manual to refer to. These engines are definitely not the easiest to strip and rebuild.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”