Bike In A Box, part II. '75 GL 1000 resurrection.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1972 Honda CL350
1975 GL1000
1976 AMF HD SS175
1989 Honda XR100R
2005 Yamaha R6

Bike In A Box, part II. '75 GL 1000 resurrection.

Postby Starbuck » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello, nice people. I'm just a n00b here but I'm looking forward to tapping in to this amazing resource. I've recently purchased a '75 GL1000 for myself as a birthday present. Thanks me!

It' a few boxes but has a lot of potential. Do I know what I'm doing? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Will the bike, her name is Christine, live again? Yes! I am armed with a Haynes manual, parts diagrams, the shop manual, the interwebs and a tall glass of crazy!

Here she is with all of her bits and pieces.

...and the rest of her is shoved in the cab. She'll get over it.

Man, these engines are HEAVY. I don't have to tell you that but damn heavy! I loaded them on to my rolling table out of the truck bed and they broke the table's wheels. I had to resort to building a frame for the table later on out of less-dinky wheels and a couple of 2x4s. Girl Power!

Good engine...bad engine. There are also FOUR (!) seats. You can see one in the background. I will sell them eventually because they're all so big I'd never touch the ground if I put them on. They're in great shape I just haven't put the time in to list them anywhere.

Here she is on her side stand. I had to put that back on because I'm retarded when it comes to center stands. It's ridiculous.

Parts, parts parts... I do like those star wheels. The owner twice removed took a rattle can to the brake cylinders and the spoked wheels. Meh.

I have so many spares. I think they're breeding.

Someone cut one end of the stock exhaust. I have the piece, you can see it in the picture, but I don't know if it can be welded back together. I imagine the guy was wanting to make some other pipes fit like the Harley pipes that are in the upper right corner. The gentleman I bought Christine from says the HD pipes will fit so I'll probably use those and sell the stock setup.

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Bike build.

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Bike In A Box, part II. '75 GL 1000 resurrection.

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:30 am

You definitely have a few boxes of spare parts :-) With some time, patience and hard work (perhaps a labor of love?) you'll have one fine motorcycle after putting her back together again.. the frame looks good... everything else can be rebuilt or replaced and by the look of things, the only thing you may have to buy is some gaskets and hoses... maybe there are spares of those as well

I love the pictures, and the good start you have on putting another motorcycle classic back on the road again!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 am

The exhaust has lots of options, harley sportster is one good one. Ask questions as you go. Seems like the PO was well intentioned so you just need to learn what he did not know yet.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Judging by the fact that the rear wheel looks almost (if not) new, I suspect this was an abandoned restoration? Good for you for jumping in with both feet! Keep us up to date as to your progress!

And yes, those engines are HEAVY. :) That's one of the main reasons my spare 1100 engine still lives in the corner of my garage. :)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”