Shut off after long Idle

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Bonestock3
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000

Shut off after long Idle

Postby Bonestock3 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:18 am

I was warming up my Gl1000 before taking her out on a cruise, she idled well for about 10min with the choke out. Then she slowly sputtered to a shut down. I started her up again and when she began to lose power i was able to get her back after some strong blips of throttle. she rode well that day (the 4th). Couple of days ago i tried to turn her on, it was 7 degrees here and i was so desperate to get out of the cold that i didn't notice the engine was off as i tried to get er on, a battery tender installation and a jump start later i was able to fire her up and that lasted about 7mins before she sputtered to a shut down again; any ideas as to why this might be happening? I'm in the market for new head gaskets so it'd b good to know now if i have any parts to add to my checkout, thanks in advanced.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Shut off after long Idle

Postby Mh434 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Almost sounds like the alternator isn't keeping up, & the battery is running down to the point of engine shutdown.

Check the battery voltage when it shuts down like that & let us know what the result is...

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:07 pm

sounds like it could also be starving for fuel..

in that the floats are stuck closed, or not enough fuel getting through to the bowls?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:08 am

"she idled well for about 10min with the choke out"
Why are you leaving the choke out for so long? Even in those temps you shouldn't "have" to use full choke more than a couple of minutes max. After that long on full choke the mixture is way to rich to run normally. If you have to use choke for that long then you need to start looking at the carbs.
On my 76 I can start with full choke and immediately push to 1/2 choke for a minute or two.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:09 am

dingdong wrote:"she idled well for about 10min with the choke out"
Why are you leaving the choke out for so long? Even in those temps you shouldn't "have" to use full choke more than a couple of minutes max. After that long on full choke the mixture is way to rich to run normally. If you have to use choke for that long then you need to start looking at the carbs.
On my 76 I can start with full choke and immediately push to 1/2 choke for a minute or two.

Correct. Running with the choke out for this long is not good, it's running on a very rich mixture. But I don't think this is your problem.

Four cylinder wings are actually running off the battery when idling - they don't generate enough power to charge the battery and run the engine when idling. So if you let it sit and idle for too long, eventually the battery will die and the bike will sputter to a halt. If your battery is already weak, this can happen even faster. When it starts to sputter, you rev it up, which causes the stator to start making more power, the battery starts to charge, and the bike comes back to life.

The next time this happens, put a voltmeter and measure the voltage on your battery. I'll bet it's quite low.

Actually, even better: Don't let it happen - don't idle your bike for ten minutes! You should be able to start it up, get the choke off within 30 seconds or so (depending on ambient temperature), and the bike should be quite warm enough to go within a couple of minutes.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”