Valve clearance problem, same on both sides?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Valve clearance problem, same on both sides?

Postby Lastwachter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:04 pm

I recently replaced the valve seals on the left side #2 & #4 of my 1978 Gl1000. I did this because of an oil leak into my exhaust on that side (it was pouring out of there). After replacing the seals, I then fired the bike up, let it idle for a while and revved it and the oil leak had stopped. The bike sounded fine, no backfiring, started right up etc.

Two days later, I went in to check the valve clearance, particularly on the left side. I have done valve clearance adjustments before on this bike successfully about a year ago. However, this time no matter how many times I rotate the engine around to T1 both the right and left side mirror each other as far as which have play and which don't.

An example. As of this moment with it on T1 I have movement on #1 intake and exhaust and #3 exhaust on the right side (of course) and movement on #2 intake and exhaust and #4 exhaust.

If I then rotate it 360 to T1 again I get movement on #3 intake and #4 intake.

Sidenote if this helps. During the rotation to T1 when I have movement in 3 valves on each side, the engine wants to spin right past T1 and I have to hold it in place with the wrench. However after rotating it 360 and I only have movement on 1 valve on each side it stays there on its own.

I am going to change the oil and refill the coolant now and hopefully come back to this page where someone tells me the easy answer and why I am an idiot :)

Thanks guys!

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Re: Valve clearance problem, same on both sides?

Postby aussiegold » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:32 am

whenever i get a bit confused or things dont seem to be going right, i go back to the beginning and start again. i see you have run the bike since replacing the seals but it dont hurt to check everything.
1 double, triple, quadruple, check that the belts are on correctly and timing marks line up.
2 make sure you are on NO 1 TDC on the compression stroke. that is, watch the inlet valve close on NO 1. at the T1 mark, both timing marks on the cam wheel should be
pointing to the marks on the case.
3 adjust NO1 intake and exhuast. ( front right ) NO 3 exhaust ( rear right ) and NO 4 intake. (rear left )
4 turn the engine once , until T1 comes around again. ( now NO 2 piston is on TDC on the compression stroke.
5 adjust NO 2 intake and exhaust ( front left ) NO 3 intake ( rear right ) and NO 4 exhaust ( rear left )

6 smile smugly and have a beer............ :D

olchris
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
2008 Triumph Speedy
72 Norton 750
75 Norton 850

Postby olchris » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:09 am

The first time i set clearances on a GL1000 was last week, so im in the GL apprentice brigade.. But as this was a new engine to me and read many DIY post re valve adjustment on this forum i finally homogenised it my way... For those who have done this a million time before, bear with me and if im wrong say so.. For me i find reading how to "instructions" very confusing, so here is another way that i hope is simplified enough..

1. get crank handle out and inserted,remember 1,3 RHS.. 2,4 LHS is firing order.. (EDIT, Remove the Plugs :roll: :roll: :roll: )

2. ensure #1cyl is TDC through the peephole to flywheel.... Might need a cupla revolutions to sort out...

3. set #1 tappets.

4. very gently with the crank handle, "engage" the crank and hit/tap/motion gently downwards while viewing through the peephole and you will see the next timing mark come up.... which is #3cyl and the crank has ONLY rotated 180degrees.

5. set #3 tappets.

6. Gently rotate crank 180 degrees and #2TDC is TDC..

7. Set #2 Tappets

8. Gently rotate crank 180 degrees and #4 is TDC

9. Set #4 tappets...

If your belt timing mark are not aligned correctly, you wont have a chance !! and, Dont forget that the crank does 2 full revolutions before #1cyl will fire again....

Hope im not talking the "suckin eggs" thing....

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:32 am

yep, that way will work just as well. here is a pictorial showing that way of doing it....http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/valve_a ... _valve.htm

a friend of mine does it yet another way, he watches the valves on a cylinder when turning the engine. if the exhaust valve is being pushed down , he reasons that the inlet should be closed. and adjusts it.
each to his own.... :lol:

Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:46 am

Problem resolved. I have no idea how, but the right timing belt pulley was reversed. I honestly don't know how this occurred, however I fixed it and all is right with the world.

Thanks for everyones help.

olchris
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
2008 Triumph Speedy
72 Norton 750
75 Norton 850

Postby olchris » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:15 am

Lastwachter wrote:Problem resolved. I have no idea how, but the right timing belt pulley was reversed. I honestly don't know how this occurred, however I fixed it and all is right with the world.

Thanks for everyones help.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”