Ignition Coil help

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
SaulitoM
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Ignition Coil help

Postby SaulitoM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello everyone, I own a 1977 GL1000 which was sitting around for a while. I got it to run and it runs very well. But my rear cylinders stop firing when the bike gets warm. And they seam to correct themselves when I honk the horn... It will do this while on the go or at a stand still. Haha it's kinda funny my horn acts like a booster. I know one coil fires the front and the other the rear, can heat affect the coil? I guess I can swap them to rule out any potential causes... I don't think my carbs are bad, but I can't rule that out... I'm just not sure what to do now. I realy do appreciate any help.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Ignition Coil help

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm

That's funny...guess I should spare you guys the humor...There was a tread on this site a while back about someone having a similar problem, and, he found it to be the ground wire that attaches to the frame-I think it's right in front of the coils. You know...a bad ground can do some crazy things, and, the horn button is a ground circuit...could be...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

SaulitoM

Postby SaulitoM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Hmmmmmm I'm gonna take a look thank very much!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 am

It's a bad ground. The horn has very low impedance, so when you actuate it, it provides the ground in place of the one that isn't working well.

Go over your bike and check the state of the grounds - particularly the condensors, the points, and the battery ground-to-frame.

SaulitoM

Postby SaulitoM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Battery ground looks good, I'm not sure where to find the others... I did notice however the pick up coil stops sending spark on one side, i noticed when I pulled the pigtail off from each side. At start up when cold it fires fine but fails once warm, could that still be the ground or should I find another pick up coil? also i would like to point out that the Batter loses charge after a couple days sitting. Thank so much for the help!

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Hmmm. Can you still honk the horn and make it fire?.....that's the catch...? It does seem to be temperature sensitive somehow...it still sounds like a ground though. Maybe take a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends, and after the engine is warm, clip to negative battery, other end to engine block, to points plate...etc. Another test not ground related-if it still has a points ignition, get it hot so it cuts out, stop engine, pull off non firing plug wire, stick extra plug in wire boot and ground to engine, turn ignition back on, and take a screwdriver, and agitate points (make sparks), and see if plug fires. If you can make the plug fire like that, your condenser is probably bad. Another test is; heat up engine....take all plugs out and stick them in their boots and ground, somehow, switch wire harness plug to the other coil(s), and see if the problem switches to the other side ( watch the plug sparks). Some times coils and condensers do heat up then stop working, but..I'm still thinking ground. Hey, just for kicks, how about pull the choke when it starts missing....just to see...as far as the condenser test...I was thinking it's a possibility the ignition could somehow be finding enough capasidence through the horn to condense....stranger things have happened...just a few thoughts...thanks.

SaulitoM

Postby SaulitoM » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks Guys, I checked around the battery for grounds, all were in pretty good condition, still gave then a once over. I dont know where to locate the other grounds, i feel like im realy close to finding the problem i just dont know where to look. some of the wires around the headlight and speedo area are slightly riped, can barely see the wire inside, should i replace these? is this a severre problem?

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Hmmm....look at those ripped wires closely....are they ripped or melted

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 am

WingAdmin wrote:It's a bad ground. The horn has very low impedance, so when you actuate it, it provides the ground in place of the one that isn't working well.

Go over your bike and check the state of the grounds - particularly the condensors, the points, and the battery ground-to-frame.

the grounds on the early bikes are easy to find.
main one on the engine behind the left hand triangle shaped engine mount.
one where the coils mount on the frame.
and another inside the headlight.
if you have points, its a good idea to make a separate ground for the condensors as well.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”