Tire Pressure

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Tire Pressure

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I've got a 1978 GL1000. The owners manual specifies the tire pressure should be set at 28 (front) and 32 (rear) for loading up to 200 lbs. It also specifies 28 (front and 40 (rear) up to the vehicle maximum capacity of 360 lbs.
I generally run 32 (front) and 38 (rear), and sometimes as high as 45 (rear) if I'm fully loaded. I don't really know why, I've simply always run at those pressures. Just out of curiosity I asked the service adviser at a local Honda dealer what pressure would they inflate new tires, installed by them. He said 32 (front) and 38 (rear). When I asked why they didn't adhere to the owners manual specs. he said that they thought it was better to set the front pressure at 32. I questioned why the departure from the Honda spec. and he didn't really seem to have any other response than, they thought it was better. So I called Honda customer service and of course they said to use the owners manual specs. I would have thought that if anything the service dept. installing the tires would inflate them to the Honda spec. only. Anyone got any comments on that?
Also, do you think that tires manufactured to 2015 standards would still use the same pressure as specified in the 1978 owners manual? That's 37 years of tire technology improvements. Anyone got any ideas on that?

Food for thought..........................Dave

Last edited by Solina Dave on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Assume Nothing"

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: Tire Pressure

Postby Dogsled » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 pm

I set mine at 35/35.....I never considered handling an issue. I seem to get good wear from my E-3's.

Handling is in the front and rear suspension. As far as i'm concerned, I get excellent wear at this pressure and that's what it's all about to me.

Try different pressures and see how your bike handles with your suspension. If it feels good, I'd bet your gonna get good wear.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:14 am

I would consider OEM tire pressure specs as a minimum with the tires sidewall inflation pressure a maximum and everything in between as OK.

As a manufacturer it is all about compromises to meet the expectation of the general buying public. A guy going to the track will inflate tires to the maximum for the least amount of flex and better responsiveness in cornering. A guy going off road will deflate the tires for maximum contact patch over loose ground and less bounce over uneven terrain.

A tire inflated to its maximum pressure will provide a harsher ride which would be objectionable to some new bike buyers causing visits back to the Dealership with complaints. So the compromise must be made between handling and ride quality for a world wide audience.

Each MC from Honda has its own tire pressure specs and the guy changing the tires sometimes does not always know especially from walk-ins carrying their own rims what the application is for. They would know what the minimum dirt bike and street bike pressure would be for their brand so the guy just inflates to a middle of the road pressure. No harm will be done or liability incurred by inflating a couple pounds over machine specific application specs. It is always easier for the customer to let a couple pounds pressure out than to fill if so inclined to run only OEM specs.

Communication is key when dealing with the public and if the service writer had asked you where to set pressures at it would have averted this confusion.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

Thank you very much CT. What you say makes a whole lot of sense. It's good to have a response, from someone who's obviously deeply involved in the business, and seems to know what they're talking about. Very well put!

Thanks again..................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm

some tire manufacturers have recommended minimum tire pressures on their web sites, and perhaps gives a better indication of pressures required with today's tires.

Its perhaps worth remembering that the manual was printed for the year of the bike, and therefore, the tires of that era.

If I may give an instance, for my 86 1200, the manual recommends 32 psi in both tires. Dunlop E'3s recommendation when I was using them a few years ago, was 36 psi front 40 rear.

as you can see, there there is a vast difference, between the manual and manufactures recommendations for today's tires.

good luck.

terrydj
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B Goldwing

Postby terrydj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Forever basically I have been running the same in all my bikes ??
38 front 40 rear. loaded up for trips, pillion whatever
Never had a problem and always have had great tyre milage 8-)
Sorry I missed your call, but the hairs slicked back and I was Rockin to the Ring Tone

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 pm

I always run the max tire pressure cited on the tire itself. Running the max pressure increased tire life by about 50% when I used to run Continental tires and made them noticeably cooler crossing the Mojave and Nevada deserts . It also increases gas mileage and I like the feel of a firmer tire for handling.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:46 pm

sfruechte wrote:I always run the max tire pressure cited on the tire itself. Running the max pressure increased tire life by about 50% when I used to run Continental tires and made them noticeably cooler crossing the Mojave and Nevada deserts . It also increases gas mileage and I like the feel of a firmer tire for handling.

I've heard that comment before, regarding the maximum tire pressure indicated on the sidewall, offering better mileage. I can also see where the tire would run cooler. That would also make sense. However, I've always been reluctant to approach this pressure point simply because the tire manufacturer is setting that point as the maximum allowable pressure.
In regards to handling, and the firmer tire, what are your riding habits? Are you a conservative rider, or a more aggressive rider. It would seem to me that a more aggressive rider would appreciate a softer tire in the corners. I'm personally a very conservative rider, so I can't see a problem either, with a higher pressure level. Any comments anyone?

Oh, the pressure...........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Even the most conservative rider can find an emergency maneuver essential for safety so better to not go to maximum in my book. A bit over the manufactures spec seems reasonable.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:38 pm

That's a very good point Fred. It seems to have come almost full circle since my initial posting. The '78 GL1000 manual says 28 front and 40 rear up to the maximum load of 360 lbs. I weigh 280 lbs. and ride solo almost all the time. Add a fairing, and a set of fully loaded bags, and I'm maxed out. 28 on the front just seems too soft, so 32 and 40 it is. Maximum pressure for my Bridgestone Spitfire II tires is 41 psi., front and rear.

Thanks for your great input everybody..........................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Sounds good Dave. Good theory.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”