GL1000, Dyna S, adjustment issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
kapiteindejager
Motorcycle: GL 1000, K2

GL1000, Dyna S, adjustment issues

Postby kapiteindejager » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:05 am

This issue has been discussed on several fora and I would like to share my experiences with all of you.

After timing cylinders 3-4 (left module, rotation of ground plate) it is impossible to correctly set timing of cylinders 1-2: in the extreme anti-clockwise position, when both modules touch each other timing is still too early and you will have to file the right module side in order to get it closer to left one. Several people have reported this problem on this forum, I own two GL1000's and enountered the problem on both, I shared this problem on the dutch GL1000 forum and one member replied that he had experienced the same problem, he re-installed the original contact breaker points. In my view there is only one explanation, i.e. a manufacturing failure: the angle between the modules is greater than 90 degrees or the angle between the magnets in the rotor is not exactly 180 degrees and correct adjustment is not possible.

I decided to discuss this with Dynatek and got the following answers:

'One important thing when working on the GL would be to check the timing belts
to be sure they are properly indexed and at the correct tension. A small
amount of excess movement will throw the timing off and make setting the
timing correctly difficult.'

'Once the first timing procedure is done, which is accomplished by moving the
Dyna-S plate, the second module will generally be extremely close when
checking the timing. If it needs to be adjusted, there should be enough
movement (by design) in the power module to allow this. If the module cannot
be moved far enough to set the timing, this is where the timing belts come
into play. However, there is also the rare possiblility that when the power
module was assembled, the pick up in the unit shifted slightly during the
poting process. If you had to file the module side to get it closer to the
fixed module, this may be one reason why. In the future, while you can safely
file to side of the power module, it may be best to return the Dyna-S assembly'
to us for examination and testing first.

I installed new timing belts, and do not have any doubt about correct timing and tension of the belts, it is deadly simple, so it seems that a manufacturing failure of the Dyna S is the most plausible explanation.

In addition the ground plate cannot be tightened on the right side, since the module is too close to the the edge of the ground plate. Dynatek's reply:

'The Dyna-S power modules on this application do have a small groove at the
base that should allow for the very thin OEM washer to slide into them.
Howevr, on occassion, a small amount of epoxy froom the potting process may
enter these grooves and not allow the washers to engage the slots. This is
easily remedied with a small pick, flat blade screwdriver, etc.'

I am not aware of such a groove, but must confess that I have not been able to check this. I am afraid that I will have to file the module edge slightly to allow more space for a washer.

Finally: the fixation of the cable that goes to the coils on the ground plate is not good: it leaves the advance mechanism house exactly on the bottom in the 6 o'clock position and the cable when fixed cannot be routed in such a way that it leaves at 6 o'clock. I also submitted this issue to Dynatek but did not get a reply.

This picture shows the situation before adaptation of the modules. NB: there seems to be a misunderstanding concerning adjustment of the left module, I came across on another forum: this one does not allow any ignition timing adjustment, only mechanical adjustment: after filing the right module side which permitted additional anti-clockwise rotation the bottom slot ran out of range so that slight clockwise rotation of the left module was needed.

Looking forward to your experiences.

Best Wishes from the Netherlands,

Jeroen.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Re: GL1000, Dyna S, adjustment issues

Postby aussiegold » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:42 am

yes to all of your observations. and very well explained . i have had the same issues trying to time the Dyna. Unfortunately i have had no luck at all with the units themselves. i have had three. all three have failed . after the first one died, i carried the points plate with me, so not to be stranded again. it is no fun trying to limp home on 2 cylinders. the last unit was one of the newer designs, slightly slimmer modules.
i consider the Dyna to be competitively priced and (when working) a good points replacement. many people have had very good service from these things, so i can only put my experience down to bad luck.
it is said that Dyna have excellent back up service and customer happiness is high on the list. finally , i took a punt on a newer electronic kit ,
called the C5. pricey , but light years ahead of any other type of GL ignition. ( in my opinion )
strangely, the C5 system has met with some criticism from sections of the web, which is baffling. the technology has been around a long time,
just never in a GL kit. some people will say they are on their second or even third replacement Dyna. and that , to me, is bonkers. :D
ps
C5 here. i have no commercial interest in the C5.
http://www.c5ignitions.com/honda-goldwing.html

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:29 am

aussiegold wrote:yes to all of your observations. and very well explained . i have had the same issues trying to time the Dyna. Unfortunately i have had no luck at all with the units themselves. i have had three. all three have failed . after the first one died, i carried the points plate with me, so not to be stranded again. it is no fun trying to limp home on 2 cylinders. the last unit was one of the newer designs, slightly slimmer modules.
i consider the Dyna to be competitively priced and (when working) a good points replacement. many people have had very good service from these things, so i can only put my experience down to bad luck.
it is said that Dyna have excellent back up service and customer happiness is high on the list. finally , i took a punt on a newer electronic kit ,
called the C5. pricey , but light years ahead of any other type of GL ignition. ( in my opinion )
strangely, the C5 system has met with some criticism from sections of the web, which is baffling. the technology has been around a long time,
just never in a GL kit. some people will say they are on their second or even third replacement Dyna. and that , to me, is bonkers. :D
ps
C5 here. i have no commercial interest in the C5.
http://www.c5ignitions.com/honda-goldwing.html

My Dyna has been in since 1979 and has never failed. I do keep the points plate with me just in case, not sure how much help it would be if I had to install it on the side of the road tho.

But it is a electrical type component and at some point everything fails.

kapiteindejager
Motorcycle: GL 1000, K2

Postby kapiteindejager » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Searching the internet I came across the following:

http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/timing/timing-redo.htm

Very interesting: 'I decided the assumption, that the timing marks on the flywheel were correct, was a mistake.' I have not considered the possibility that incorrect timing marks might be the culprit and I feel that this seems unlikely, but it definitely is a theoretical possibility. However, actually this possibility has not been tested by the author, it should be quite straight forward to check if the T marks actually correspond to TDC.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”