How does this engine sound?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
jonclegg
Motorcycle: gl1000 1978

How does this engine sound?

Postby jonclegg » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:53 pm

I changed my plugs a week ago and the valves got noticeably louder. Turns out of didn't torque them down very well and after it quited down. The problem is now I just hear the valves and it sounds loud to me, but maybe i'm crazy.

Is this ticking too loud? Otherwise the engine runs fine, though it does always smell a bit like gas and gets pretty bad milages, around 30mpg.

thanks,

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: How does this engine sound?

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:07 pm

I thought I heard some ticking that may not be correct. If you are smelling gas you best find the issue. Nothing like a Goldwing Zippo on the side of the road. I smelled gas in an old rod of mine when I was a kid. Didn't do anything about it and bang, LIGHT MY FIRE. Hence, if I smell it I find it. Food for thought. I do recall that my 82 sounded like a Singer sewing machine, no other noises. But that was new and well cared for. But I bet you can get it back there too.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

jonclegg

Postby jonclegg » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 pm

I *think* the gas smell is from a old gas cap gasket, it really doesn't seat down much. I can't find any gas leaks anywhere else. I have one on order so I'll see after that.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 pm

How did the plugs look when you changed them? If they were black or sooty, you could be in need of a carb synch or you may have raw gas running into a cylinder when the engine is running... that will make the engine buck, pop and snort when at lower speeds... and will certain contribute to poor fuel economy.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

jonclegg

Postby jonclegg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am

They looked great when I pulled them, I probably shouldn't have even put in the new ones. I have gotten puffs of smoke when starting it, but it goes away instantly, It's not everytime, it may depend on the weather and how long it's sat.

I checked the carbs to see if they were leaking, I poked around the lines and tank, no signs of any leaks. It smells more like gas when i'm running it, then just sitting there.

I'll try checking the valves tomorrow, the guy I bought it from said he checked them within the last 3-4k, but he also said he likes to lean towards making them loose since it's less harmful than getting them too tight.

Back to the first question, do the valves sound especially chatty to anyone else?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 am

I do hear some tapping that sounds like loose valve adjustment. Re-adjust the valves to the "exact" specs. That's just stupid what that other guy said about adjusting on the loose side.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:30 am

I didn't watch the video last night. I watched this morning, and while your valve clearance may not be correct, I believe you have something going on with your fuel system (too?).

Take Tom's advice and set the valve clearance to specifications in the Honda Manual.

Seriously, beg borrow or steal a set of vacuum gauges and synchronize the carburetors. There's at least one (in my opinion) that isn't working right. It could be balance, low speed (idle jets) jets are plugged some, or some other source of the "thump" I hear.

You all probably think I'm crazy by now, but there's an absence of something in there that I think is gas related. :-)
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:32 pm

I think it sounds pretty good-valves do need adjusting. I think if you adjust your valves, your fuel mileage would improve-try highway testing, not city-makes a huge difference on my 1100.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

jonclegg

Postby jonclegg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Well I adjusted the valves, and they were pretty much dead on. It sounds exactly the same.

What I DID find is that the right cover has a threaded bolt. It doesn't leak thank god, but It's way louder on that side so I think maybe it's louder simply because the seal isn't torqued down as much as it should be? I hope that's it, because it's driving me totally nuts.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”