1977 gl1000 "Help!"

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
monnihulu

1977 gl1000 "Help!"

Postby monnihulu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 pm

I recently purchased a 77 gl1000. At first the right side was popping and it ran like crap. I adjusted the valves very meticulously twice. I filed/cleaned the points and adjusted thier gap twice. I adjusted the ignition timing twice. Still not much better. So...I pulled out the carbs and spent about 7 hours cleaning them and I cleaned and checked the air cut off valve. Now it pops out of the left side. Black puffy smoke used to come out the right side. Now it comes out the left side. Cylinder 4's spark plug is black carbon which indicates a rich condition. The carbs are in synch. I have been trying to adjust the idle mixture screw. Is this going to help? What does this sound like to you? There are no air leaks in the manifolds.

monnihulu

Re: 1977 gl1000 "Help!"

Postby monnihulu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:18 pm

Oh it has after market exhaust but I don't think this has anything to do with it. I put in new spark plugs. I adjusted the floats properly. And I use Marvel Mystery oil.

Whiskerfish

Postby Whiskerfish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Sounds like you missed something in the carbs or some crud is getting through your filter from a rusted fuel tank? The Idle jet is in the the center hole in the tower under the black rubber **** plug. The size of that is ridiculously small and it only takes a spec of rust or crud to foul your idle. Also when you cleaned them did you remove the float needle seats and clean the filter screens up there? To be perfectly honest 7 hours for a first time inside a GL1000 rack is not enough. I have done quite a few and my first 2-3 racks were 12 hours each or better. To remove every jet and clean each passage and each jet and reassemble just flat out takes a lot of time. The More Anal you are the better the product will be. Also with this much work you need to really examine the condition of your Gas tank and correct any issues there.

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

You mentioned that the # 4 plug was black/rich. Try removing the air filter and looking down into the plenum chamber ( the cavity below the air filter) while the bike is running. If you see raw fuel in there, that would be a sign that possibly the float needle isn't seating properly.

Ernie

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”