78GL1000 No spark to my rear two cylinders...

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
DirtyFoker
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000

78GL1000 No spark to my rear two cylinders...

Postby DirtyFoker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Hello folks...looking for some help...
I'm not getting spark to my number 3 and 4 spark plugs...

I thought the issue was my ignition coil, so I bought a new one (well two actually)... And just finished installing them... Still no spark to number 3 and 4 (rear two cyclinders in the opposite side of the engine)...

The back story:
I live on the west coast of Canada, and have a car port where I store my bike (open to the cold/damp air, but covered from the rain etc) Around October last year I took my bike in to work, and it was running really rough... Prior to that my bike was sitting for about 5-6 weeks and ran like a dream before parking it) when I discovered it was running rough, I initially thought it was the cold weather, and perhaps I didn't let it warm up enough... But through chatting with "guys who know about this stuff" I was lead to think that I had lost an ignition coil... Hence ordering and replacing the coils...

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts... I'm flying blind on this stuff, and have limited mechanical skills, although I love to tinker and learn...

Any suggestions would help...

Thanks in advance for your assistance:)

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: 78GL1000 No spark to my rear two cylinders...

Postby spiralout » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 pm

My first thought would have been check the coil, second thought would be check right side points wire for a break or ground.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 pm

heres a diagram showing the points and coil wiring etc. it can be infuriating to find the problem, but working methodically it can be worked out.
does your bike have points or a dyna type ignition ?

DirtyFoker
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby DirtyFoker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:51 pm

Thank you guys for the response. Also thank you for the wiring schematic...

My bike has points. I was considering installing the electric ignition, but I was hoping to fix the issue first. I am confident that the coils are good... Seeing that I just replaced them :-/

So I guess the next battle will be the points...

Would there be any benefit/drawback to switching over to the electric ignition right away?

I don't want to just start swaping out parts... Did that with the coils...didn't work out so well...lol... (Down the cost of the coils...on the plus side, I have new coils) :)

That being said, does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy the electric ignition? AND is it a hard swap?

Also any other suggestions or pointers you may have...I am all ears...

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 am

i would find this problem before making a decision. the points system is very reliable and robust. could be some thing as simple as a poor connection or a chafed wire. since you have replaced the coils and still have the problem, it looks like the problem is elsewhere.
the Dyna seems the most popular choice for an ignition upgrade. it is very easy to fit but can some times be a bugger to time.i have had no luck with them myself.
i now have C5 (powerarc ) ignition which is a total package and is awesome.
check all the connections and go over all the wire routing to make sure there are no breaks or chafe points.
a very good tutorial on points here http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10527

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”