Fuel in plenum chamber

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
farrell1957
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing

Fuel in plenum chamber

Postby farrell1957 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 am

Hey guys, Ive got a 77 gl1000 that has been sitting for oprox. 5 years. Carbs were all gummed up, and one carb has a broken float tower where the float tang stop should be. (hope thats the proper terminalogy) Whats happening is while turnning over the motor raw fuel is coming into the plenum chamber. Do you think these problems are related and if so how can i go about repairing the float tower. The piece of the float tower was not in the float bowl, the tower was broken off just above the float pivot pin. I would be thankfull for any advise. i should mention theres a lot of rust in the gas tank and its leaking fuel but i have a good clean filter in line. Know anyone with a good clean tank for sale cheap ? One other problem im having is the spark at the points is yellow, shouldnt it be blue ? Any thoughts on what could be the cause for the weak spark. Dont want to give up on this thing , ive put a lot of hours / make that days in to trying to get it running again and cant afford a profesional to work on it but it seems to be one thing after another. HELP ! :?:

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Fuel in plenum chamber

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:15 am

Fuel in the plenum could be caused by the broken float tower. Can't set the float in that carb correctly. Also could be seals between the carb body and the plenum or defective float valves. There is a tower rebuild kit from Randakks. http://randakks.com/ . If you aren't familiar with that site go there and read all of it. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

farrell1957

Postby farrell1957 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Thank you for that info, that site had a lot of good info ill be able to put to some use. thanks again !

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:58 am

Farrell, is there any chance you could post a picture of the broken carb? I understood from your description that the part of the tower that has broken off is after the float pivot pin, in which case that part is just there to stop the float bowl dropping too far when the carb is dismantled (Missing lower float bowl) and would NOT cause fuel to be in the plenum chamber, but a photo would clarify it completely.. Depending where the tower is broken it could cause fuel to be in the plenum chamber but it really depends where it's broken, again a photo would clarify that.

Regards Gary

chet1
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby chet1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 am

I bought a 77 Gl 1000, and had fuel coming into the plenniem and after inspecting found an o ring was missing on the carb body going to the plennium, replaced it ,it cured the gas leak.I love my 77 Goldwing.who ever worked on this Bike before me forgot to put that o ring in place.

farrell1957

Postby farrell1957 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:59 am

Sorry thrasherg not to answer you sooner , got busy at work. As for the carbs , ive allready installed them back on the bike and now struggeling with the static timeing. I havent been able to get it rite yet but its backfireing like crazy so i must be close. Ive taken your advise dingdong and Im now scooling myself with Randakks split timeing method and can just about comprehend what they are talking about . Not being a mechanic and not knowing the terminology makes it a bit intimadateing but with enough trile and error, i think ill figure it out. To answer your question about the float tower , it is broker just above the pivot pin, with a small portion of the pivot pin exposed . One other question for you though is on the bottom of the carb closest to the fuel pump is a hose fitting, im assumeing its a vacuume line , but not sure ,its the only carb with paticular fitting on the bottom. any idea where or what this hose goes to ? Hey thanks again for your interest and your time to help a fellow out. Buy the way , I used to live in Antlers Ok. and allso in Madille and Bromide Ok. , I think if this bike ever runs well enough I would like to ride it back there . I have a lot of fond memories and family back there. THANKS AGAIN for help / my name is Bill .

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:40 am

Bill: The only carb with an additional vacuum fitting is the # 1 carb. The right front carb. The vacuum line connects to the air cutoff valve at the top of the plenum chamber. The air cutoff valve prevents back firing on deceleration by creating a rich fuel mixture. Something is not right. You have the bowls mixed up. Put the one with the vacuum fitting on # 1 with a hose between the cutoff valve and the extra fitting. You back firing will probably go away.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”