78 GW oil light questions

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
mmtindor
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing

78 GW oil light questions

Postby mmtindor » Tue May 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Hello-

Just arrived back into town after a 300 mile road trip yesterday. This morning the oil indicator light came on. I drained the oil and put the right amount back in. Now the oil indicator light will not turn off and there is a knocking/clanking about the engine. There were no problems on the road trip. I just got it back from the mechanic and they replaced the timing belts and the clutch cable, on Friday.

Maybe bad bearing? No knocking/clanking ever experienced before. I've put about 700 miles on it since getting it last fall. It's run smooth except today. Any help would would be greatly appreciated.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: 78 GW oil light questions

Postby Fred Camper » Tue May 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Sounds like an oil pump issue leading to oil starvation. An engine can run about that far without oil flow and just oil splash so I suspect you are going to be shopping to a long block.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 27, 2015 9:29 am

Yes, the oil light does not indicate low oil level, it indicates low oil pressure. Running the engine for any length of time with the oil light on usually results in permanent damage - which is likely going to be borne out by the clanking noise you hear. If you haven't run it for any length of time with the oil light on, it's possible that the clanking noise is one of the failed oil pumps thrashing around inside instead of non-lubricated engine parts.

As Fred mentioned, if it's run for any amount of time without oil pressure, it's probably time to start hunting for a replacement engine.

mmtindor
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing

Postby mmtindor » Wed May 27, 2015 11:58 am

WingAdmin wrote:Yes, the oil light does not indicate low oil level, it indicates low oil pressure. Running the engine for any length of time with the oil light on usually results in permanent damage - which is likely going to be borne out by the clanking noise you hear. If you haven't run it for any length of time with the oil light on, it's possible that the clanking noise is one of the failed oil pumps thrashing around inside instead of non-lubricated engine parts.

As Fred mentioned, if it's run for any amount of time without oil pressure, it's probably time to start hunting for a replacement engine.

Thanks for the insight. On this past Friday I got it back from the mechanic, they preemptively replaced the two timing belts. Is there any chance that somehow the replacing of the timing belts somehow compromised the failed oil pumps?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 pm

mmtindor wrote:Thanks for the insight. On this past Friday I got it back from the mechanic, they preemptively replaced the two timing belts. Is there any chance that somehow the replacing of the timing belts somehow compromised the failed oil pumps?

No, the oil pumps are run off a chain driven from the crankshaft on the back end of the engine, completely separate and unconnected to the timing belts. There's nothing you could do while changing the timing belts that would affect oil pump operation.

You might also want to check the oil filter and possibly the oil strainer screen - a near or complete blockage of either of these components could cause a loss in oil pressure and flow.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”